Barrel position :Bench rest vs cross-sticks.

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
EDWARD MALINOWSKI
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm
LocationCOLON KEARNY N.J.

Barrel position :Bench rest vs cross-sticks.

Post by EDWARD MALINOWSKI » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:48 am

I noticed from a bench rest I get better, tighter groups with the barrel
resting 6 " in front of Sharp's forearm.
The barrel null is about 11" from the forearm.
Shooting off of cross-sticks this same rest position, close to the forearm, does poorly.
I realize it might be bad technique.
I have not done much off the sticks prone because of my bad back,
since I have to climb up my cane to get off the ground without falling.

My question: Is the barrel null position more important off of the sticks?
I will try this null position next week. In the mean time has anyone noticed this "peculiarity"?

Ed Malinowski

AzShooter
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:46 am

Post by AzShooter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:42 am

There is definately a null position while shooting sticks or off a rest. Looking at a lot of rifles during the matches I've noticed people have tape on the barrel so that they always place it in the correct position.
I came, I saw, I shot

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:31 pm

I have not been at it long enough to try more than one bullet style.
Does the null point in a particular barrel 'move' when a different bullet is used?
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Utah Shooter
PostsCOLON 61
JoinedCOLON Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:16 am
LocationCOLON East Central Utah

Barrel nul position

Post by Utah Shooter » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:13 am

This is a very interesting subject----and I am not the one to speak with authority on it----but I have found that the barrel null position does change with different loads and with different bullets on my rifle-----and that the 'null' position can be located (in each case) with the use of talcom powder on the barrel----as someone else on this forum had instructed me------basically, this involved sprinkling talcom powder liberally on the barrel---then shooting 8-10 shots while resting on the wood behind the barrel---then identifying the 'null' position for that load by noting where the powder is being thrown off the barrel---typically that shows up as a clean spot somewhere along the barrel length. Further shooting with the rest under this clean spot seems to produce the tightest grouping for me.
Others---more experienced than myself, might have additional or conflicting detail to add to this discussion---and like you, I am all ears and willing to profit by their experience.
The Deseret Duck

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Ed: Just a theory ... The front of the bench rest has more mass to hold down the barrel 'whip' at the muzzle end. Guessing, the barrel has different harmonics on the rest

The null on sticks is balancing the whip where it should be.

I've had better groups with the forearm on the rest and my hand under the forearm v barrel on the sticks at the null

BUTTON_POST_REPLY