"Fouling" shots: what does it mean? Bore wiping?

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
CrashCorrigan
PostsCOLON 13
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:49 am
LocationCOLON Las Vegas, NV

Re: "Fouling" shots: what does it mean? Bore wiping?

Post by CrashCorrigan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 pm

I just had my first session with my new rifle. This is a 50-90 Sharps made by Winchester. With a 695 gr Creedmoor boolit cast of 40-1 alloy on a BACO mold and pan lubed over 102 GR of Swiss 1 1/2 veggie .060 Wad and slightly compressed with a Federal 210 primer I lucked out and ran 30 consecutive shots on a metal gong at 100 yds.

Blow tube 8 breaths between all shots and from 1st to 30th shots all hit in a 2 1/2inch group on the gong. The rifle shoots very well however I need to buy a recoil shield as my shoulder is really sore. This shooting was done over the hood of my F 150 with a front rest only however my elbows were on the hood for a rear rest. Gotta love those Kelly Soule Sights.

This was one of those Browning imported made in Japan LTD Creedmoor rifles with a 30" Badger tube. The lube did it's job as I had a perfect lube star at the crown when I cleaned up the rifle at home later.
Yes I am a pirate, Two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, There's nothing to plunder,
I'm an over forty victim of fate....greetings from Las Vegas!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY