shootig distance

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
johnny
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:16 pm

shootig distance

Post by johnny » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:20 pm

will a 200 yard target give me ample testing of loads with black powder and lead bullets..

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:00 pm

Yup. Sure will. You may encounter a rare problem with a 1000 yd load that didn't show up at 200 yd but that will be the rare dog indeed. Most folks do their testing at 100 yds because that's what they've got. 200 yd is preferred by those that can get it.

Brent

Highwall Jack

Post by Highwall Jack » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Johnny,

I test loads at one hundred yards although I'm on a 1000 yd range. It minimizes the affect of wind and still gives large enough groups to measure and compare. That reduces the tendency to confuse wind effects with load problems.

If a load has good chronograph numbers and is accurate at 100 yards, then I will test it at longer ranges.

If you don't have access to a chrono, look for a nice round group at 100 yards that doesn't develop vertical stringing at longer ranges.

Comparing sight elevation settings required for your longest range will tell you how well a load/bullet is going to handle wind compared to other loads or bullets. Generally, the less rear sight elevation required, the less wind drift you will encounter.

Highwall Jack

johnny
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:16 pm

Post by johnny » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:11 pm

I appreciateyour replys..This forum is the best I have came across so far.I have been shooting a few years now,but have been away from it for some time..Heart attack and dieing aint no fun..They hit me 3 times with the padels..So I need to get back at it..Johnny

BUTTON_POST_REPLY