Oiling bore for P.P.?

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
PostsCOLON 40
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Oiling bore for P.P.?

Post by .22-5-40 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:53 pm

There is mention of the Creedmoor shooters lightly oiling bore after cleaning and prior to loading next P.P. ctg. Has anyone tried this? Wonder what type of oil? They probably used sperm oil, wonder if castor or Jo Joba oil would work? Thanks.

PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 pm
LocationCOLON SW Ohio (Dayton

Re: Oiling bore for P.P.?

Post by Ohio3Wheels » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:36 am

I was told once a long time back that Jo Joba was the closest thing to sperm oil we could get in the late 20th century. If they used sperm oil and I'm not sure why as I know little about the PP game I would think that Jo Joba would be the thing. Castor might be a little thick.

Make smoke,

bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 84
JoinedCOLON Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Post by bruce moulds » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:22 pm

reading would suggest that oiling bores was done but not universally.
those who did it appeared to use it as much as part of the cleaning/wiping routine as for lubing.
they seem to have oiled the bore, then lightly wiped the oiled bore with a dry rag to remove most of the oil.
some guys took 5 rods to the range.
I have noticed when wiping that sometimes when the barrel is hot a thin white haze is left on the bore after wiping that is not there with a cold bore.
possibly the oil removed this as well as making the bore a little slipperier.
the intent was of course to have a consistent bore condition from shot to shot from start to finish.
in most of today's comps we do not have the time to wipe as thoroughly as the o.d.g.s who did not shoot strings, but shot in turn.
lubing patches could be an alternative.
jojoba is actually a wax with a melting point somewhere near 7 degrees?
this could get interesting as temperatures hover in this area.
caster is a very slippery oil with good long carbon chains.
dan t mentioned an oil with a name something like meadowfoam.
if shooting strings it would require a fair effort not to get any oil in the chamber unknowingly.
keep safe,

PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:43 am

bruce moulds wroteCOLONif shooting strings it would require a fair effort not to get any oil in the chamber unknowingly.
Choose an empty case that is fully as long as the chamber and drill the head out to allow your rod to slide through.
With the case on the rod, and an oiled patch mounted on a brush or in a loop, pull the patch back into the case.

Chamber the case, stroke the patch to the muzzle and back, and pull the case from the chamber with the patch inside.

You should have an oiled bore with a dry chamber.

Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:41 pm

There has been some use of olive oil in a clean bore prior to the first shot. I didn't find that it made cleaning-up any easier, although some shooters may.

Old age ... it ain't for sissies!