Bench shooting rest recommendations.

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Bench shooting rest recommendations.

Post by Ray Newman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:17 pm

For various & sundry reasons, I shoot from the bench.

I've never felt 'comfortable' w/ the rest that I now have.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a rock solid, adjustable, quality, etc., bench rest?

I've seen the Caldwell, but know nothing 'bout it. It looks very well made.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

zrifleman
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:35 am

Post by zrifleman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:53 pm

Ray--I inherited 2 heavy metal rests with large elavation srews, three legs and leather sand bag saddles. The legs have adjustable pointed screws that keep the rest in place under heavy recoil. I use "Protector" brand rear rest and a sand bag rest for my elbow. This combination allows me to shoot accurately and comfortably. With a setup like this, I can zero the gun at 200 yds, lift my head, let go of the gun and come back to it and the gun has barely moved off target. It's well worth the money to build or but good front and rear rests.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1549
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:37 am

The Caldwell is okay for what you pay, but a Sinclair or Eagle or Fudd is much better. I bought an Eagle this winter. I don't think it can be beat. They have a website that I can dig up for you at work.

Brent

Brent
PostsCOLON 1549
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:30 am

The website for Bald Eagle's rest is
http://www.baldeaglemachine.com/

I would say it's one of the better rests on the market.

Brent

Circuit Rider
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:24 pm
LocationCOLON E. Tn.

rests

Post by Circuit Rider » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Ray, you might go to www.benchrest.com/forum and look at the Cowan rest. He just lost his Mother, so he probably won't answer for a while. I think it's a great rest, especially for the money, and for a good cause. Circuit Rider

BUTTON_POST_REPLY