How much distance left on my tang sight?

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
andy mayer
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:02 pm

How much distance left on my tang sight?

Post by andy mayer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how much distance I've got left on my Pedersoli tang sight. It's at 1.60 on the scale at the 100 yd zero. I've got about 140 MOA left on the sight.
It's a Pedersoli rolling block with the heavy 26" barrel and about a 30.25" sight radius.
I'm shooting 405gr with 25gr of 5744. Sorry, haven't been able to start down the Black powder road yet. I'm going to start loading a 500gr with about 25gr of 5744 for beyond 200yds....if I can go much further with the sight.
To make it worse, it still has the stock front blade sight which is .304 above the barrel and about .371 from the bottom of the dove tail to the top of the blade and the shortest Lyman 17 I want to put on it is .404 dovetail to center.

Any help would be greatily appreciated,

Andy

John Boy

Re: How much distance left on my tang sight?

Post by John Boy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:02 pm

It's at 1.60 on the scale at the 100 yd zero.
Andy, the best answer is since you know your 100yd base line is:
* look up the velocity for your 5744 reload in the data tables
Put the needed inputs into a trajectory program. Here's a good free one:
http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:59 pm

andy mayer wroteCOLONI'm trying to figure out how much distance I've got left on my Pedersoli tang sight. It's at 1.60 on the scale at the 100 yd zero. I've got about 140 MOA left on the sight.
First, go to this webpage http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipolog ... moors.html and determine which Pedersoli sight you have. After you make that clear, maybe we will understand what "1.60 on the scale" means.

With that information, we can start to estimate 'come ups' for longer yardages.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

andy mayer
PostsCOLON 15

Post by andy mayer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey John Boy,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to start on it soon.

CM,

I've got a Pedersoli model USA 430. The staff is marked from 0 to 3" with 20 lines per inch. With a 30" barrel and 34" sight radius, each line should be 5MOA so there is a total of 300 MOA on this sight.

Thanks again

Andy

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:09 am

andy mayer wroteCOLONCM,

I've got a Pedersoli model USA 430.
Okay, that sight has a true vernier for adjustments. The vernier scale is that set of six marks on the slider which carries the eyepiece up and down.

Now describe how you have the slider adjusted to give you a setting that you call "1.60".
Like ... Is the 'Zero' on the slider even with the thirty-second mark from the bottom of the staff?
The staff is marked from 0 to 3" with 20 lines per inch. With a 30" barrel and 34" sight radius, each line should be 5MOA so there is a total of 300 MOA on this sight.
You have all of that figured right with the exception that (due to mechanical interference) the slider can't move all the way up to '3'.

CM

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413

Post by montana_charlie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:21 am

Andy, we got to within a step or two of getting you straight on using a vernier tang sight.
This is day five of me checking your thread twice a day to finish up with your questions.
If you are still 'gone' when I check in this evening, you are on your own from here on.

CM

andy mayer
PostsCOLON 15

Post by andy mayer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey Montana,

Sorry, but my work takes me away from the area on short notice, I haven't been around my guns in a few days.

On the vernier, the 0 mark lines up and the first hash mark above the 1 1/2 hash mark. So by the instructions that came with the sight, I'm 5 moa above the half way mark, if this was a 30" barrel.

I guess what I'm really asking is what are the "come-ups" for my round from a 100yd zero out to my sight limit.

Another problem is I just ordered a globe front sight, the lowest that lyman makes and it's still a bit taller than the blade front I have now.

Thanks,

Andy

doubs43
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:24 am

Post by doubs43 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm

andy mayer wroteCOLONOn the vernier, the 0 mark lines up and the first hash mark above the 1 1/2 hash mark. So by the instructions that came with the sight, I'm 5 moa above the half way mark, if this was a 30" barrel. Andy
If the "0" is exactly on the first hash mark above 1 1/2 (actually 150) then your reading would be 155.

Here is a well illustrated explanation of how to read your scale correctly: http://www.uslink.com/~tom1/vernier.htm

The reason your "430" sight is set that high for a 100 yards zero is that the scale begins so close to the base. Thus you eat up a lot of scale getting to the point above the bore line that gives you a 100 yards zero. A better choice would have been the "431" or one of the Soule models where the scale begins well above the base.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413

Post by montana_charlie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:02 pm

doubs43 tells it true about your sight, and why it uses so much to get to 100 yards. A taller front sight will exascerbate that somewhat.

Unless you have fired at 200 yards to determine how much you must come up for that range, you can probably estimate you'll need a setting 11 points higher than your 100 yard zero of 155 points.

To add yardage, in 100 yard increments, add 11 + 1 for 300
12 + 1 for 400.
13 + 1 for 500.
14 + 1 for 600.
and so on.

Of course, these are estimates ... and they are sequenced off of an estimated come up for 200 yards. Actual shooting will determine if that original '11 points' is right.

CM

andy mayer
PostsCOLON 15

Post by andy mayer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks Gents,

You're right Doubs....careless mistake reading the sight.

I've got some 500gr bullets on the way. Once there here I should be able to get out and see how far out the gun will go. I should have enough site for 500-600yds.

Andy

BUTTON_POST_REPLY