horizontal stringing

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
John Boy

Post by John Boy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Fenwick: Now that the boyz's have settled down, maybe we can get serious and try to help you again with your horizontal shot string issue.

Here are factors that will cause this type of group:
* ... Your rear sight is loose
* ... Cross winds are affecting the bullet to impact horizontally
* ... Impact to the Left is caused by too little trigger finger (probably not a consideration with set triggers).
* ... Impact to the Right is caused by Thumbing (squeezing thumb) or too much trigger finger.

Breaking the shot with set triggers on your Bodine requires very little pressure to unlock the hammer. Don't 'mash' down on the trigger ... a light touch is all that is needed and keep your sights vertical

You'll have to consider each or a combination for a possible resolution.
Good Luck

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:46 pm

Fat fingering and light changes does it for me.

Kurt

cpt dan blodgett
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Re: horizontal stringing

Post by cpt dan blodgett » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 pm

M-1 Thumb. My DCM M-1 requires a bump on the op rod handle to close the bolt on the first round of the new clip. Even If it did not, if one keeps the blade of the hand in contact with the op rod handle until the thumb is out of the action - no worries mate
Rookie with BPCR but have shot lots of high power with M1 and M1A

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Re: horizontal stringing

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 am

Fenwick,
Are you weighing the powder or loading by volumn, and or, are you compressing the powder.

Verticle stringing can be attributed to varying pressure. Slight volumn changes, slight compression differences.

Try shooting off front and rear bags to see if the stringing disappears.

My 2 cents worth.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY