MVA front sight insert

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
Walker
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 am

MVA front sight insert

Post by Walker » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:39 am

Among the several inserts that came with the MVA front sight is one with four square lines forming a square in the center. What use would be for this sight? Would it improve the sight picture for silhouettes?
Thanks.

checker
PostsCOLON 103
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:49 pm
LocationCOLON Utica, MS
CONTACTCOLON

Re: MVA front sight insert

Post by checker » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am

The heavy abbreviated crosshair that you described might work for you. I thought the same thing when examining the different inserts from MVA. Eventually, after trying different front inserts I ended up with the medium circle aperture because I could focus on it the best. Posts and crosshair front inserts might work for some people with eyes like eagles,
but with 60 YO eyes the ring aperture works best for me. Give it a try, but the groups on the paper @ 100 & 200 meters will tell you everything you want to know about front inserts. Keep us posted with your results. :D :D Tim
"There is nothing simple about a simple point pattern"

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1565
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:28 pm

Try that open center cross hair you may like it . I took the advise from powderburner and removed the top post from one of those and really liked the sight picture I got on the Quigley gong targets. It let me see the target alot better than thru the aperature and recticle.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Walker wroteCOLONAmong the several inserts that came with the MVA front sight is one with four square lines forming a square in the center.
From the replies you have received, I don't think people understand which insert you are talking about.
You mean the one that looks like a tic tac toe layout...right?

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1565
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Well if it is the "tictactoe" thing I had to put two of them in to keep the wires from fading against some backgrounds. Worked well enough if the light was right and the target was sized such as it was easy to center up in the square...... :wink:

Walker
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 am

Post by Walker » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Yes, it is the tic tac toe layout. I shot my first silhouette match last weekend, used a rather small round aperture and had troubles actually seeing the targets in the aperture. 70 years old eyes. But, got two rams, two turkeys and four pigs. Forget about the chickens, cannot shoot standing anymore, not that I ever could, but now I have a good excuse ;-) . I had since replaced the aperture with the bigger round one and still have to try it out. At that time I found that tic tac toe insert and was wondering if anybody has some experience with it. Thanks.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY