Shooting coat

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
Skip
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Savannah, Ga.

Shooting coat

Post by Skip » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I've been thinking about getting a shooting coat for BPCR, and I checked the NRA rules.
"3.13 (b): Shooting jackets made of cotton, cotton twill, khaki or similar weight material which may have non-slip patches added to elbow and shoulder are permitted. Shooting jackets made of any heavier material (example:leather or nylon) are considered to provide artificial support and are prohibited."
How many of you guys use these coats, and can you give me an example of one that meets the rules?
They get expensive real quick and I'd hate to waste my money.
Thanks,
Skip
No Guts, No Glory!

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Re: Shooting coat

Post by Vbull » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:05 am

Skip,

Shooting coats are legal only for BP Target rifle competition. They can't be used for silhouette.
If you are going to shoot midrange or long range competition, any coat that is UIT legal can be used.
That means no cinch straps (Buttons only) and not made from leather. Although a leather "flap" where the buttons go through due to wear is legal. I'd stay away from the heavy canvas just because they get really hot in the sun.

If you are shooting midrange, most use a recoil pad. I've seen elbow pads too.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Skip, pick a coat that any of the folks are wearing and you wil fit right in ...
Hats are popular also :lol:

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1569
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:12 pm

Not sure if its "legal" or not, but I do like my Limbsaver shirt when the air is brisk.

mac266
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:31 am

Post by mac266 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 am

I can't get over the guy on the left with his hand over the muzzle. If I was the range safety officer, that guy would be heading home early...

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:38 am

Standing there with the breach open and hand over the muzzle for a group photo would get him kicked off the range then most of the people holding their rifles in that photo you would also send off?? and how about people cleaning the rifles behind the line???

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1569
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 am

Good point Kurt.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY