Off hand shooting rules

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Off hand shooting rules

Post by gunlaker » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi,

I've started attending very informal matches at my local range. Just 100m and 200m offhand paper shoots, but the off hand rules are supposed to be the same as BPCR silhouette.

Not that it matters a lot, but at the last event a guy told me that the front hand (not the trigger hand, just to be clear :D ) needed to support the rifle entirely, and that I wasn't supposed to pull my arm back such that it rests against my chest for extra support.

Is this true? All I could find was this:

5.8 Firing Position - Any standing position without artificial support. The rifle
will be supported by the hands and one shoulder. All parts of one hand must be
forward of the pistol grip. The chin may not rest on top of the comb. The stock
may not be hollowed, altered or manufactured so as to facilitate chin contact.
This does not preclude the use of abrasive materials or finishes.

thanks,

Chris.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Off hand shooting rules

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 am

Chris, that is baloney. To put it nicely. Find any set of bpcr match photos and take a look. Almost everyone has a classic Schuetzen position, elbow pulled in tight against the chest, rifle often supported on finger tips, sometimes with the thumb under the trigger guard.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1569
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 am

Let me guess..... :) you outshot the guy complaining about your stance? :shock:

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 am

Ranch 13 wroteCOLONLet me guess..... :) you outshot the guy complaining about your stance? :shock:
Naw, I'm not out shooting too many people yet :D. Up here in BC there just don't seem to be that many people into BPCR and I think some of these guys were into it 20 years ago and maybe the rules are different. I even had a guy try to tell me that wiping between shots was against the rules :D.

Unfortunately we only have one silhouette match a year up here as far as I've found so far. This means a lot of what I learn is from the internet. Although I might find some time to head to Washington state, or maybe Oregon to watch a real match.

thanks for the knowledge,

Chris.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1569
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

Chris way back about the time Methousula was a pup, the British rules did preclude wiping between shots. Partly because that was the only way they could keep the upper hand on the Americans and their paper patched cartridge rifles.
Check out the books on Google. Colnel Wingates book delves into the 1800's rules. The NRA 's website if you poke around long enough you can find the modern day rules. Not sure what about the Canadian rules, altho you could pm Deadeye on Shiloh , and maybe here? He's out of Sask. heck of a nice guy and a pretty decent shot as well.

SSShooter
PostsCOLON 103
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm
LocationCOLON Mays Landing, NJ

Post by SSShooter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 pm

gunlaker wroteCOLONUnfortunately we only have one silhouette match a year up here as far as I've found so far. This means a lot of what I learn is from the internet. Although I might find some time to head to Washington state, or maybe Oregon to watch a real match.

thanks for the knowledge,

Chris.
Don't go there and 'watch'. Go there and join in the fun.

checker
PostsCOLON 103
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:49 pm
LocationCOLON Utica, MS
CONTACTCOLON

Post by checker » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 am

As soon as my new rifle is finished, I plan on shooting some mid-range matches, located only a hour or so from my home.
I wanted to read up on the why's & if's, in the rule book and I had to look everywhere to find the NRA sight that discusses the current rules. Here is the sight, which I bookmarked so I can find it again!
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/ ... -index.pdf Hope this helps, Tim :)
"There is nothing simple about a simple point pattern"

kcajeel
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm
LocationCOLON NW Michigan

Post by kcajeel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 am

JUST REMEMBER: YOU CANT LIE ON THE INTERNET !!!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY