Proper use of the blowtube.

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 124
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Re: Proper use of the blowtube.

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Just to help him out further, if you find your patches are to wet, how do you get them to the "right" wetness? How do you attempt to get all the patches at equal correct moisture content? What type of storage do you use, do you turn them over inside the container every once in a while to get the wet ones on top and let is soak back through the others? Do you have a helper tool to get them from being soaking wet?

Kurt
PostsCOLON 632
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Maj.

When I feel I need to wipe I will use RV antifreeze. I fill a container with patches and pour the antifreeze over the patches till they are soaked with the antifreeze. I take a bunch, all that fit my hand and squeeze hard all out I can into a separate container to reuse. The patches are damp but will not drip when I push them into the chamber.
Here is why I use the RV antifreeze. I shoot in the winter and water or oil diluted in water freezes. I had a lot of antifreeze for winterizing my boat before I sold it and started using it for my patches, but what I found was when it gets hot and dry during the summer heat and wind blowing over the patches, they would dry out using water. The RV antifreeze will stay consistent and they seem to clean better. The dry patch that follows the first damp patch is a lot cleaner then just using water.
It must work for others because I now read a lot others are using it too.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 632
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Forgot,

I store my patches in 1/2 gallon Blue Bunny oval plastic containers. They are large enough that I can reach in easy enough and the wind wont blow the patches around.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:22 pm

This year at Alliance I had Smitty switch to using RV anti-freeze. He was using water and I noticed that he was starting to get that dreaded orange color. The first couple days at Alliance, there was no rust, but when it got hot and dry I noticed it. Back in 2004 and 2009, I observed other folks pushing rusty patches out of their guns also. The conditions were also hot and dry. They must have been using straight water also.

After switching the the RV-AF, there was no more rust. We also noticed that it was lifting out some lead, as good as the pure gum turpentine I use. I also cleaned my guns between rounds and after the match using RV-AF and it cleaned as good as or better than anything and it was easier to get the patches to push through and finally come out completely white.

He thinks he is going to use a wet patch, a bore pig and then a dry patch now. I am thinking the same.

Prior to my hiatus from shooting, I was using a potato ricer to squeeze the excess RV-AF out of a punch of patches. I found mine at an outlet mall cooking store.

Another benefit of RV-AF is that it is non-toxic.
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 124

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:48 am

What is the difference between RV-AF and regular AF?

And then I guess we should get back to the subject of the "proper use of a blowtube", lol, sorry to the originator of this thread.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469

Post by DRCook » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:59 am

RV-AF is non-toxic. You put it in the water lines to keep the lines/fixtures from freezing. Also in the water tanks and all the traps. It is pink in color and specifically mark RV Antifreeze. You can pick the patches up and if you forget and stick your fingers in your eyes or mouth, you will have no ill effects. Nor will you have cumulative effects.

Regular antifreeze will kill you. It is toxic. Lots of animals are poisoned from licking AF spills as it has a "sweet" taste.

As to the chemical properties, I would have to look that up.

Back to blow tubes. They are reasonably effective in areas with high humidity. Deep breaths from down in your lungs are best. Out east here, they work pretty good, but you do notice changes in the point of impact as the fouling builds up and settles in before stabilizing.

HOWEVER, too much blow tubing will affect a person's eyesight. I have noticed mine being affected.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 124

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:58 am

Gees, Dave, you aren't suppose to make your face turn red and blow your brains out, lol! Nice long slow breaths.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469

Post by DRCook » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:00 pm

If a person isn't careful, you can pull the amount of oxygen in your blood down because you are intent on getting enough moisture into the barrel. It doesn't take much to affect your eyesight a little is all I am saying.

Not to the point of seeing the black tunnel or passing out, just enough to start a bit of a blur.

Out west you can tell if the blow tubing is working, as sometimes cartridges will be difficult to chamber, but if you remove and blow tube a bit more it will seat easily.

I have noticed that blow tubing is more effective with my 45-70 than it is with the 90,100 and 110's.

As a consequence, I am going to shift over to wiping.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 993
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Kurt wroteCOLONMaj.

When I feel I need to wipe I will use RV antifreeze. I fill a container with patches and pour the antifreeze over the patches till they are soaked with the antifreeze. I take a bunch, all that fit my hand and squeeze hard all out I can into a separate container to reuse. The patches are damp but will not drip when I push them into the chamber.
Here is why I use the RV antifreeze. I shoot in the winter and water or oil diluted in water freezes. I had a lot of antifreeze for winterizing my boat before I sold it and started using it for my patches, but what I found was when it gets hot and dry during the summer heat and wind blowing over the patches, they would dry out using water. The RV antifreeze will stay consistent and they seem to clean better. The dry patch that follows the first damp patch is a lot cleaner then just using water.
It must work for others because I now read a lot others are using it too.
Kurt,

When I 1st switched from blow tubing to wiping several months ago I started with RV antifreeze. It seemed to work fine in cooler weather but in the hot central Texas shooting conditions, as the barrel heated up, I started to have fouling problems. The antifreeze seemed to be drying up between shoots. So I switched to a moose milk formula of of 8 oz of NAPA water soluble oil to 1 oz of Murphy Oil soap with 55 oz of filtered water (makes a quart). Since then I've never had a fouling problem.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY