Shooting Jacketed Prior to BPCR

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
harleytoo
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Shooting Jacketed Prior to BPCR

Post by harleytoo » Wed May 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Is there an issue with me shooting jacketed bullets prior to moving over to BPCR?

I have some older smokeless jacketed loads and am still waiting on product to begin loading BPCR. I want to shoot my new rifle, but do not want to cause myself an issue.

Somewhere I read that shooting jacketed in a rifle you plan to shoot lead in can cause a problem.

Is this a concern?

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: Shooting Jacketed Prior to BPCR

Post by montana_charlie » Wed May 20, 2009 2:01 pm

harleytoo wroteCOLONIs there an issue with me shooting jacketed bullets prior to moving over to BPCR?

I have some older smokeless jacketed loads and am still waiting on product to begin loading BPCR. I want to shoot my new rifle, but do not want to cause myself an issue.

Somewhere I read that shooting jacketed in a rifle you plan to shoot lead in can cause a problem.

Is this a concern?
The generally accepted view is that you need to clean out all of the copper fouling before shooting lead bullets. It's not damage that is the concern, but the tendency of the barrel to collect lead when there is copper in the bore.

Good fortune in your quest...
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1560
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:12 pm

The break in procedure for Badger barrels is to shoot jacketed and clean the barrel between shots until it quits copper fouling, then go ahead with the cast bulles.
So as MC has already said make sure all the copper fouling is gone before going into the bp loaded stuff.
Also should you decide to do some smokeless rounds between black sessions be sure to get the smokeless residue out before firing the black, as the two powder foulings, combine to make a horrible mess and really screw up accuracy.
For some reason tho shooting duplex doesn't have that problem :? One of the great mysteries of the shooting world I suppose.

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Post by Ray Newman » Wed May 20, 2009 2:17 pm

See what MT Charlie said....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

harleytoo
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Post by harleytoo » Thu May 21, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks, guys. Coming up on the long weekend I just dont know if I can wait to shoot my new Pedersoli until I have the BP components.

Having those smokeless jacketed loads sittin there is just making me ancy.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1560
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:30 am

Well have fun with it. Just be sure to scrub all the copper out of it before you go to trying to lob cast bullets from it.

westerner

Post by westerner » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:55 pm

If your bullet lube is working, your " Tapered lead bullet " shouldnt touch the bore as it goes down the barrel. Shouldnt matter if it has copper on the bore or not. Might be a different story with a straight bullet. Maybe.

Wes Turner

checker
PostsCOLON 103
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:49 pm
LocationCOLON Utica, MS
CONTACTCOLON

Post by checker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:06 pm

I have a new rifle nearing completion, a 45-70 Peabody "What Cheer", with a Badger 1-18 barrel. I plan to load with fire formed brass, so I think I can kill two birds with one stone. I'll load up a beginning load of IMR3031 with some old Hornady jacketed bullets I have. That will give me at least 100 rds. of fire formed brass to start with, and I'll follow Badger's advice about the barrel break in using jacketed bullets. Shoot & clean, repeat, etc. For copper removal I have been using the Outers Foam stuff, and that stuff works great! Push patches through til they come out white, and you are done. I have three different cast "store bought" bullets I will try out first, using Swiss 1-1/2, then I will start casting my own with a new Brooks 545 Creedmore mold than I just ordered. I really think there is something to this barrel break-in. I have shot a friends Ballard Mfg. Hi-Wall in 45-90 that had a Badger barrel, and after a 40 rd. Silhouette match, not a speck of leading from the bore, and he followed Badger's procedure of breaking in the barrel when it was new. I'm a newbie here, :D
Best to All, Tim

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:33 am

Checker, Badger's procedure works if you follow it to the 'T' but be prepared for a long day at the range doing it

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 452
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 am

When I got the .45 Martini with the new Eichelberger barrel, I asked him about the best way to bear it in. "Just shoot it", he said - he was right, no issues, no leading, just good accuracy right from the start. I MUCH prefer that way of breaking in a barrel...

checker
PostsCOLON 103
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:49 pm
LocationCOLON Utica, MS
CONTACTCOLON

Post by checker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 pm

John Boy, I'll just blast away from the back door of my shop! Walk back in and clean the bore. I will also play with the new Axtel vernier tang sight, to get it on the paper at 30 yds., the longest distance I have behind the shop. After 20-30 single shot/cleaning, then I'll progress to the two-three shots between cleaning, always watching for any copper fouling. When I go to the range it will be with anticipation, to see what the new rifle will do with cast bullets @ 100 & 200 yds. Then it will probably be a long day at the range, with much pleasure! Tim
"There is nothing simple about a simple point pattern"

BUTTON_POST_REPLY