Tang sight on new rifle appears to "lean" to right

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
jaydoc1
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:53 pm
LocationCOLON Pueblo, CO

Tang sight on new rifle appears to "lean" to right

Post by jaydoc1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Well, I'm getting ready to shoot my new Pedersoli Heavy Target model Sharps for the first time tomorrow and was installing the included "vernier" tang sight. Well, it seems to me the sight leans to the right.

If I sight directly down the barrel, the buckhorn sights and globe front sight line up perfectly. When I attach the tang sight, it seems to me that it is out of alignment and the perception is that it shifts the globe sight right of the sight alignment. In other words, sight down the barrel with buckhorns and globe in alignment then flip up the tang and it seems if the peepsight and buckhorn are aligned, the globe is off to the right. If the peepsight and globe are aligned, the buckhorn is off to the left.

Something is obviously awry. Now my concern isn't so much that the tang sight is perhaps off (because I sort of figured it would need replacing with a good tang sight), my concern is that the sight screw holes tapped in the rifle are canted. The tang sight base rests levelly on the tang, however, so I'm hoping the cheap sight is just canted to the right.

Anyone with any experience with this?

Additionally, for my first shoot (which appears will be using the buckhorn/ladder sight on the gun) do I sight initially at 50 yards then move out to 100 yards? Sight at 100 yards first?

Thanks in advance for any information.

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 452
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Jaydoc1,

You find that most rifles will need shimming the base of the tang sight in order to get it plumb - it's just one of those things that you know you have to check and correct... This regardless of sight manufacture. Sure, it can happen that the sight immediately mounts perfectly, but those instances are few and far in between.

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:30 pm

What MB said and ..

Maybe you can borrow another tang-sight from a close friend to try on your rifle, you know, just to see if they all "lean" the same.

Jim
Old age ... it ain't for sissies!

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:17 pm

zampilot
PostsCOLON 76
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 am
LocationCOLON Minnesota

Post by zampilot » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Hopefully your barrel isnt over or under indexed to the reciever. There was a discussion about that several months ago. Shimming the tang plumb and level with the globe should take care of it anyway.
Fall is my favorite time of year!

jaydoc1
PostsCOLON 11
LocationCOLON Pueblo, CO

Post by jaydoc1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks to everyone for the very quick replies. Don't know why I didn't think it might need shims.

Thanks again,

Jim

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I don't know which tang sight came with your rifle, but it is almost certain to be one of the 'giveaway' models like the USA436 or USA454.

If you loosen the eyepiece, you can probably shift it side-to-side for a little bit of windage adjustment.

Before you start shimming a tang sight, check it with a carpenter's level to see if...and how far...it is out of plumb.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

jaydoc1
PostsCOLON 11
LocationCOLON Pueblo, CO

Post by jaydoc1 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:12 pm

It is one of the giveaways and I have tried lossening the eyepiece but it isn't adjustable enough to line the sight picture up. Just eyeballing it the staff appears to lean right.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 624
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:39 pm

It's probably one of those flip flop sights, Just cant the rifle in the direction you want the sight to go and it will flip over by it's self then carefully straighten the rifle and shoot before the sight flips back :roll: :lol:

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:00 am

jaydoc1,

not trying to be an a**, but that included sight is next to worthless. I have 1 of those Pedersoli rifles like you have, and the included sight didn't even have the eye piece drilled through.

it would be a shame for you to give up on that rifle as being inaccurate or even worse give up on shooting these guns all together because of the POS sight that they include, just to say they did

you have a couple options in order to get the most from that rifle. the first starts with taking that included sight and throwing it in the weeds, then all of the rest start with buying a new sight. once you get a sight that allows you windage adjustment as well as verticle adjustment, that is consistent, you will see how accurate those rifles really are. so far mine will shoot any ammo I stick in it, I have not specifically tuned any loads for it, it just shoots all pretty well.

sights by Ron Heilman are a good buy, so are sights by Lee Shaver

pm me for Ron Heilman's contact info

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Grade-model-S ... .m20.l1116

also check out the sights from Buffalo Arms, they carry Shaver sights also as well as others more pricey

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,230.html

regards
dave cook

Kurt
PostsCOLON 624
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:44 am

:lol: Dave that is where my flip flop sight went that came on the Pedersoli Quigley rifle :lol: :lol:

jaydoc1
PostsCOLON 11
LocationCOLON Pueblo, CO

Post by jaydoc1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Yeah, after reading a lot on this site I never figured the included sight would get me very far. In fact I took it off yesterday as it is more or less worthless.

Getting ready to head out to the range to see what I can do with the buckhorn and globe sights and forget about a tang sight until I've gotten something good.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY