What is the purpose for using a Paper Patch Bullet

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
acelungger
PostsCOLON 48
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm
LocationCOLON midwest

What is the purpose for using a Paper Patch Bullet

Post by acelungger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:51 am

I have been reading along, and notice that a lot of you guys use a paper patch bullet! Since the only ones I have saw are on different forums and not in person. I was wondering if someone could tell me the reasoning behind this?

Thanks ACE

oldbluelight
PostsCOLON 128
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 am
LocationCOLON NE Tennessee

Post by oldbluelight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 am

PP fans cite several advantages. Chief among them is improved aerodynamics over GG because the projectile has a smooth surface. Leading which is possible with GG is eliminated with PP. PP bullets in many cases can be seated to a shallow depth -- 1/8" -- in a case thereby increasing powder capacity. No issues of lube drying out or corroding cases after prolonged storage. No issue of lube attracting and holding abrasive dirt. Absolutely HUGE coolness coefficient regardless of sectional density.
You can't always win. You won't always lose. But you can always be a gentleman (or a lady).

zampilot
PostsCOLON 76
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 am
LocationCOLON Minnesota

Post by zampilot » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Gee, try to talk me into it before I even develope a greased groove load for my 45-90 ! :lol:
Fall is my favorite time of year!

DML
PostsCOLON 254
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm
LocationCOLON Aridzona

Post by DML » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 pm

I can see that PP bullets have some advantages, but I have also read that the old timers thought that GG bullets were better then sliced bread. One of the advantages mentioned for GG bullets was less bore wear.

I wouldn't argue one way or the other. My attitude is if it works for you, do it. :D
“It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything.”

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1565
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Paper patched bullets came first, but were forgot about with the advent of the easier to make a use grease groove bullets.
The current paper patch fad is just folks going back to the roots of cartridge gun shooting, and a few folks trying to chase the holy grail of finding them selves in the winners circle.
Plus if you do it right, there's no worry about leading, accuracy can be much better than with grease grooves.

acelungger
PostsCOLON 48
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 pm
LocationCOLON midwest

Post by acelungger » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:15 pm

I want to thank each and everone of you folks for your views on this subject! So far I havn't got to shoot but just a few rounds, because I am one of those old dogs that doesn't want to learn new tricks! Everyone tried to tell me that my 32 years of smokeless powder reloading wasn't going to help very much when loading for acurate B.P. Loads! I have eaten crow before so i will again. I think after many , many, hours of reading and asking, and talking to people, I might have a handle on it?
I think I will get the SPG lubed bullets figured out before i move on to something new , like P.P. . But I am great full for answering my question!
ACE

BillDan
PostsCOLON 84
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:13 pm
LocationCOLON Tennessee

Post by BillDan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:38 am

Welcome to group! It's hard to ignore years of experience with the white. One tip: notes are more important than ever. Document everything. It'll help alot!
Regards,
Bill

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 am

I was wondering if someone could tell me the reasoning behind this?
Ace, easy answer - cause they were the bullets in the 1800's!

mtnwinds
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 pm
LocationCOLON Texas

Re: What is the purpose for using a Paper Patch Bullet

Post by mtnwinds » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for the pics, John. Very nice indeed.

LJBass
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Post by LJBass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:02 pm

ACE,
Paper jackets look cool, but I think they are primarily for guys who want to make this hard. I posted this on another thread. If, Harry Pope had figured there was an advantage in the paper patch he'd have used it!
Regards,
LJ

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 378
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm

LJBass wroteCOLONACE,
Paper jackets look cool, but I think they are primarily for guys who want to make this hard. I posted this on another thread. If, Harry Pope had figured there was an advantage in the paper patch he'd have used it!
Regards,
LJ
You could say the same thing about shooting BPCR in general. My .308 is easily more accurate and it's easy to load for.

I doubt that many who shoot paper patch bullets are simply looking for a way to make things difficult :mrgreen:. For me it's the historical aspect and it's an interesting challenge that can be quite rewarding. At one time paper patch bullets were at the top of the pile, even for Schuetzen shooting as I understand it.

I wouldn't say that paper patching is more difficult than using greasers. My bull barrelled Shiloh .45-110 was very easy to get shooting accurately with PP.

Chris.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1565
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:32 pm

LJ maybe you ought to read Ned Roberts, just to get a bit of perspective.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re:

Post by Brent » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 pm

zampilot wroteCOLONGee, try to talk me into it before I even develope a greased groove load for my 45-90 ! :lol:
Why would you ever develop a greaser load? :) :) :)

I just like'em. They shoot really well and they look good too. I also find them easier than groove bullets but maybe that's just me. The lack of any lube whatsoever, only makes my life easier.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

LJBass
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Post by LJBass » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:39 am

ranch 13
I've read Roberts, Sellers, Mann and done a bunch of research in old catalogues, periodicals and letters. I've shot these rifles since the mid 90's, been fairly successfull and mentored a lot of shooters into the sport. I respect the hell out of you guys who have the patience to paper patch, but I think it is for guys who have a lot of experience and are inveterate tinkerers. It is much easier for newbies to learn and be successful with GG bullets than PP. I don't think it's in the best interest of our sport to push a tough technique on folks who haven't developed the loads or capabilities to put 10 consecutive rounds into 4 inches at 200 yds.
That's my perspective.
Regards,
LJ

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:56 am

That's just it, I don't think the techniques are tough at all. The bullets that work well are now known and available. Loading techniques are simple and also known, and there is not much experimentation needed or even possible with bullets loaded so far out of their cases. Lube - not an issue - we don't use it. Shooting techniques are all worked out and simple (wiping). In the end, I think PPBs are probably easier now than groove bullets.

Now, shooting PPBs dirty - that's a whole different ballgame, and not simple, well known, or easy.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY