First time out with questions (somewhat long)

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
Sharpshooter
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 am
LocationCOLON Bonifay, Fl.

Long Question

Post by Sharpshooter » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:27 pm

Kelley O.
I do appreciate your response. Working up a load with the cartridge OAL and determining the seating depth as a starting point is good info that Roger will find helpful.
Sharpshooter
Bob McConkey

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Lee makes crimp dies for some of the straight wall cases that is a taper crimp, do not know if they make one for the 45-70.
Oneokie ... Yep and it is the cat's whiskers for putting a light crimp to take out the bell ... http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalo ... crimp.html

CrossXstix
PostsCOLON 20
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:46 pm
LocationCOLON !dd!SS!SS!W

Post by CrossXstix » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 pm

I know this most likely doesn't have a lot, if anything to do with the POI shift. But after the initial COPPER jacketed break in period, was all of the copper residue completely removed from the bore before using the cast loads? If not you probably have a pretty good lead mine started in the bore. I thought Badger Barrels in .45 cal. were .450/.458" not .457", but I guess nothing is perfect in this world. Also you stated starting out with new nickel Starline brass. If nickel can't be anealled, and new Starline brass is usually hard as Chinese arithmatic, Houston we might have a problem. You are aware that when that nickel plating begins to flake at the case mouth, that it can possibly do a fair amount of damage to your sizing die. I am a little confused about your expanding 1/8", were you only allowing the expander to enter the case 1/8", or are you going on to the 2nd stage that actually does the belling, example .456/.461". If you plan to stay with cast BP loads, and the POI shift "Groups" are showing some promise, and are staying there, set your sights to it and forget about where the smokess loads hit. The heavier lead bullets and slower BP load (more barrel dwell time) verses the lighter copper smokless, could be creating more barrel torque, snatching you around a bit, thus the drastic Poi change.

But I'm just a ramblin, sounded good though. As Robert D. Rayford, commentary used to say, " That's my opinion, ought to be yours"

X

David

mtnwinds
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 pm
LocationCOLON Texas

Post by mtnwinds » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:47 pm

Roger, I have found that the book, "Loading & Shooting Paper Patched Bullets", by Randolph S. Wright contains a good deal of basic information related to black powder cartridge loading/shooting. You don't have to be into paper patching to benefit from the book. You can take what he has learned and modify it any way you please.

I got my copy from Steve Rhoades, bpsteve@cox.net. Steve also makes a very slick breech seater for bp shooting. I have no financial interest in the book or in Steve's business; just passing along what I think is good info.

Frank

BUTTON_POST_REPLY