What kind of target 200 yards+

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Down South

Shadow Box idea?

Post by RMulhern » Thu May 03, 2007 12:02 pm

MC

That would work OK! However.....99% of the hits fall right at the bottom of the mainframe plate as mine is now and I have no trouble picking them up! What I would opt for in lieu of a 'shadow box' is a box the width of the mainframe plate that would be about 2" depth filled with sand to catch the lead! In your country where rain isn't as likely as it is here......you might not be bothered with a 'wash problem' whereas with the weather here where we might get as much as an 8" downpour.....the lead wouldn't have a tendency to become covered with soil and be hidden from view. The box underneath wouldn't have to extend outward from the plate but possibly about 36" and wouldn't have to be made from heavy plating!! :lol: :lol:

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: Shadow Box idea?

Post by montana_charlie » Thu May 03, 2007 4:18 pm

IronJaw wroteCOLONMC

That would work OK! However.....99% of the hits fall right at the bottom of the mainframe plate as mine is now and I have no trouble picking them up!
Probably due to my inexperience, that surprises me. I figured the lead splattering (especially) sideways would be leaving with enough force to 'get lost' out in the countryside.

Do you think the spent alloy would still fall straight down if the target was closer...say 400 yards?
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
LocationCOLON Down South

Shadow box?

Post by RMulhern » Thu May 03, 2007 4:49 pm

MC

You're going to get some 'spattering' of lead but it's so finite......you'd lose more time hunting it than would be worthwhile!! :lol: :lol:

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Fri May 04, 2007 8:04 pm

Ironjaw,

That's kinda what I have in mind, as I can see the white area on the black background easily.

I really like the "gong" effect on the metal targets :lol: :lol: .

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
LocationCOLON Down South

Post by RMulhern » Fri May 04, 2007 10:21 pm

Kodiak wroteCOLONIronjaw,

That's kinda what I have in mind, as I can see the white area on the black background easily.

I really like the "gong" effect on the metal targets :lol: :lol: .
Kodiak

Bullet strikes are readily visible anywhere on the black from 1000 yds. through a decent spotting scope! But if you really want them to stand out and shine like a 5 carat diamond in a Billy Goats behind.....paint the bull white and then paint black! When the mirage is greatest......visibility is of course somewhat reduced and that's why I normally shoot when testing a load late in the day when mirage has decreased a great bit!! :lol:

Splattersmith
PostsCOLON 48
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:49 pm
LocationCOLON NorCal

Post by Splattersmith » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 am

As said by the ubiqutous "THEY":

The best boat is one owned by a good friend. Same with RMulhern's target. Beautiful and much admired, but not in my frame (pun intended) of talent.

At 200 yards we start with any cardboard and a big black spot painted on with cheap spray paint. When we get dialed in, any of the larger, newish splatter-see it targets are easy to spot. The schutzen 200 yard targets are fine if you have a good scope. Simply stated, get a target your talent will hit so you can evaluate the results - or have a forgiving background.

Beyond 200 yards, you go shooting with RMulhern and leave Charlie at home because he will worry about splatter. Better not go dove hunting with Charlie because it is very, very bad on an old back and eyes picking up each shot in a soy bean field. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Dude abides.

CrossXstix
PostsCOLON 20
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:46 pm
LocationCOLON !dd!SS!SS!W

Post by CrossXstix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 am

Staple white bucher paper to the cardboard, then paint your circle on it for a good contrast.

X

David

BUTTON_POST_REPLY