What kind of target 200 yards+

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
spurdude
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:01 pm
LocationCOLON Bailey, Co.
CONTACTCOLON

What kind of target 200 yards+

Post by spurdude » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:44 pm

Well any kind of target will work for a 100yard shoot. but what do you guys suggest for 200 yards and beyond? Ya can't shoot what you can't see, so I'm thinking these are fairly large for us old guys to see. and what about these Gongs I read about? how large are they? where do we go go to get these targets? thanks

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:09 pm

The 200 yd ASSRA or Wyoming Schuetzen Union targets are both the German 25-ring target which are excellent. They work to 200 yds easily with irons. But beware the ASSR version which comes in black and orange versions (sometimes on either side of the same sheet-but not always. It is a bit to light an orange to see at 200 yds with irons. The black is fine. The WSU is a deep read that is perfect.

The National Muzzleloader association als has a 25 ring deep red target of the same dimensions.

Brent

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1569
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:19 pm

You can make your own from cardboard, cut to a size/shape that suits you and then paint it with spray paint to please your eye.
Most of the gong matches I've shot in are shot at flatblack gongs. 1000 yd gongs usually from 4-6 ft square.

Jubilado
PostsCOLON 105
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Post by Jubilado » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:07 am

Keep in mind that being able to see the target and get a good sight picture depends not only on the size and color of the target, but on the background. The best combo will give you good contrast. Light conditions, that is the angle and intensity of the light on the target, also make a big difference.

Paul

Pathfinder
PostsCOLON 70
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:29 pm
LocationCOLON FRUITA, COLO

Post by Pathfinder » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:06 am

Superdude,
Coke cans work pretty good out to 300 Y., then switch to 1/2 gal. milk jugs to about 600, then full size gallon jugs on out to 1000 :shock:
However, you might want to try a 4 Moa piece of OSB painted white for whatever distance that you are shooting (i.e. 20" @ 500Y., 40"@ 1000)- that should keep you roughly in the black on the regulation targets.
I don't know how it is in Bailey, but over on the West slope here, it's pretty white on the ground right now & black targets would work better!
Good luck, ....Dennis (PS. The cans & jugs are easier to carry though!)
First in- last out...

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:34 am

For some time, I have used Ranch 13's suggestions on targets.

I use a 4' by 4' piece of heavy-duty cardboard, painted black. Then I have several white bullseyes cut from white poster-paper, all different diameters for 300, 400, 500 yards, etc. distances. I match the size of the bullseyes to my front-sight insert and staple them centered on the black cardboard. To patch bullet-holes, I use 1" black or white self-stick pasters purchased from the local stationary store.

I see bullet holes in white targets real well.

YMMV,

peecay
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Western Colorado

Post by peecay » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 pm

Check into the all-round-target sold by justshootmeproducts. They are a little pricey but I got two of them and it is a gas to see who can roll his ART the furthest. Great practice with a hunting gun. They seem to be holding up real well to everything I shoot at them. Downside is that they don't work too well in all this white stuff on the ground.

zrifleman
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:35 am

Post by zrifleman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:09 pm

Alco targets in Duarte California makes the SCR 200 yd official target. It is easy to read the rings. It is also available on heavy paper

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Post by Vbull » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:02 am

I believe National targets manufactures and sells the official NRA targets. I've purchased targets from them in the past. http://www.nationaltarget.com/

Creedmoor sports and Buffalo arms also carries a selection of targets.
Some of the targets:
SR, offhand and "any position"
SR-42, Reduction of the SR-3 to simulate 300 yd target at 200 yards
MR-52, Reduction of the MR-1 to simulate the 600 yd target at 200 yards.

Just for the record, the MR-52 is a tough target to score well on. The rings are roughly 1 moa each. I've seen targets for use at 200 yards that simulate the Long Range targets used at 800, 900, 1000 yards, but don't remember where or what the numbers are. They are also made for use at 100 yards. Frank M.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Post by Vbull » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:06 am

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention. You can purchase these targets as full size 36" x 36" to cover the entire target frame or just as a repair center. The repair centers are roughly 13" x 13" and cost a good deal less then the full size.

300 yard targets are also available. I prefer load testing at 300 yards, but on some days it is very hard to see the bullet holes. Frank M.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Here's another source for NRA targets ... http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/highpower/
The maintenance ones work fine.

Don't know if it is laziness or cheapness, but I use a 200yd target when shooting 300yds. That black circle is really not that much harder to see. :roll:

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Down South

Targets?

Post by RMulhern » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:27 am

These work much better than paper; all they require is a few cans of spray paint which I buy by the case from Wally-World! I had the 20" ten ring painted white when I first painted it but now I paint solid black as that's what the target looks like when shooting the Creedmoor event which is the NRA LR target. There are 3 plates here; large is 72" square as the frame of the NRA target, black bull is 44" and the 10 ring is 20". The black bull stands off 2" from the main plate and the 10 ring plate stands off 2" from the larger bull! Gives a nice 'BONG' which can be heard from 1000....iffen ya ain't deef!!

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:29 am

Gives a nice 'BONG' which can be heard from 1000....iffen ya ain't deef!!
Ironjaw, if that isn't the coolest target - I haven't seen one better!
Thanks for sharing

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Down South

Target

Post by RMulhern » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:45 pm

John Boy

The round plates are removable. I welded a piece of square tubing into the center of the mainframe plate and the larger OD bull has a square shaft affixed to the back thereof and it slides into the mainframe plate. The ten ring plate then slides into the tubing of the 44" plate. Mainframe plate is 1/2" mild steel and the others are 3/8" mild steel! A 720 gr. .50 bullet 'splatters' like eggshell when it hits and doesn't even dent the mild steel! Same thing if I want to shoot my Palma rifle as the Sierra HPBTs just 'splatter' like the all-lead bullets when fired from 800 back to 1000! Best part about the whole thing of this target is I don't need a 'puller' as the strikes stand out like a 5 carat diamond in a Billygoats hinney!! :lol: :lol:

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Thu May 03, 2007 11:46 am

Iron Jaw,
I really like your target, but would appreciate your thoughts on an 'addition'.

I am thinking of (call it) a 'shadow box' frame around the top and sides...probably attached to the stand, rather than the target, itself.

A box about ten inches deep, positioned so the rear edge is about 2 inches behind the target face (with the rest out front) would provide a surface for the splattering lead to impact on after marking the target.

Hopefully, this would stop the (most of) lead and make it fall straight down to the ground (confining the 'environmental contamination' to a limited area) but mainly to make recovery of the alloy possible.

Seems that light gauge stuff (1/8" or 3/16") would suffice, and would not be visible from the shooting position, as you would be looking at the 'edges' of the box.

Do you see any value in the idea?
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY