bullet lube

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
oldbluelight
PostsCOLON 128
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 am
LocationCOLON NE Tennessee

Post by oldbluelight » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:38 am

Ed, it may be that placement other than the sweet spot would deliver better accuracy with a particular load. But I suspect that it would be very difficult to find that spot while varying other elements in the loading. In other words the sweet spot gives a base line while you are searching for a load by varying powders, charges, primers, bullets, neck tension, and OAL. It sounds like you found your loading using the sweet spot and then tuned it further by varying barrel placement? Is that the case?

John Boy, I thought of that page while I was considering this. The one big difference that I see between what is being discussed here is that the placement of a tuning device mounted on the muzzle efectively changes the length of the barrel as it is turned in and out. Resting the barrel at differnt points might not have quite the same effect.

I'm just guessing about the details of this based on my experience. My evidence is anecdotal and limited and wouldn't be much use from a scientific point of view. My expierence has been this; if I get careless about placement of the sweet spot on the rest an otherwise excellent group will develope a sudden case of "flyeritis". It is entirely possible that if I made the same 'mistake' consistently I would have a nice group of 'flyers'. Would love to see some science applied to the question of sweet spots.

EDWARD MALINOWSKI
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm
LocationCOLON KEARNY N.J.

Post by EDWARD MALINOWSKI » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:53 am

I did check for sweet spot and tested some loads then I inadvertently change to my old rest point and the groups tightened up significantly.
My friend Bill gets very good result from the sweet spot.
I would agree its a good starting point, then test.
I didn't test if there was a difference in shooting off of bags or off of sticks.
I am diorganized at times, to say the least.

Thanks.

Ed Malinowski

EDWARD MALINOWSKI
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm
LocationCOLON KEARNY N.J.

Post by EDWARD MALINOWSKI » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:57 am

As we all know trying to test too many things at once to save time usually means wasting it.

Ed Malinowski

beltfed
PostsCOLON 274
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Barrel Vibrations

Post by beltfed » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:54 pm

I imagine that the front sight used on a rifle barrel will affect the
vibrations, and the node point.???
beltfed/Arnie

BUTTON_POST_REPLY