Sight Question

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Sight Question

Post by SgtDog0311 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am

Last year this is what the Buffalo at the Quigley looked like in my front globe through my MVA Soule sight with windage cranked all the way over.
Buffalo at 805 yds in near 40mph wind.jpg
Buffalo at 805 yds in near 40mph wind.jpg (65.4 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
I told myself then that next year I'd show up with the #103 Long Range Buffalo sight with the added windage: http://montanavintagearms.com/product/s ... e-buffalo/
so as not to be guessing how far along the suspension line to place the target. Thought I might check here first for feedback before ordering. Any thoughts or observations from anybody owning one?

Premod70
PostsCOLON 90
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Sight Question

Post by Premod70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:01 am

You may wish to look at the windage adjustable front sights. A large amount of adjustments on the rear sight can give you problems in sight alignment by the slight cocking of the head.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1569
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 am

The MVA buffalo soul, or the Hoke rear sights are way preferable to the set ups. Either will give you 40 some minutes of left and right windage.
The windguage front sights are alright and will work well with the regular MVA and other sights that only extend out to 24 minutes or so, but the big problem with those , if you get caught in a wind reversal , you'll have to break position reset the front sight and hope you got it right. And as you know from shooting the Q, things can happen pretty fast with the wind.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am

I have one of their sights and like all of their stuff it's excellent. The only thing I find this that, because the Soule barrel is so wide, I sometimes accidentally rub it with my thumb when pushing a wiping rod down the barrel. I've accidentally changed the windage by 0.5 to 1.0 minutes by accident that way. It took me a little while to figure out what was happening.

Chris.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 90
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:51 am

Back to the adjustable front sight, why hasn't someone built a traverse rail that the front sight could ride on with a detent stop on each side to give quick adjustments, thus doing away with the screw. The rail could come in various lengths for however much sight change on would think practical. Beats running a screw back and forth on those switchbacks, JMHO.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY