Everyone knows Martini's aren't accurate...

Here we post the results from any disciplined, scientific testing (primers, wads, bullets, lubes, powders and compression, etc.) along with any and all peer responses and criticisms. "Question everything!" "

ModeratorCOLON Rob Dorsey

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 448
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Everyone knows Martini's aren't accurate...

Post by martinibelgian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 am

Or alternatively, also called 'shooting my Providence tool cy .45 Turkish Martini at 200 meters'.
Yesterday I went to the Leopoldsburg shooting range and had a go with the Peabody-Martini in 45 Turkish at 200. I'm thinking of taking this one along to the Souppes international BP match this year instead of the Steyr Roumanian army model.

In order to see if she would 'deliver', I shot the target below at 200m prone, with sling. The load actually was pretty 'authentic' in that I was shooting PP bullets with a lube cookie behind. As this rifle would shoot in the military category, I blowtubed between shots (cleaning not allowed between shots for military rifles).

Anyhow, this is a prettty promising rifle - after finding my POA with the 1st 3 shots, I was pretty much able to keep all shots in the 8 ring (and most in the 9 ring actually). This lady seems pretty eager to please, so she just might come along to the match...
The positive point - next to its accuracy - is the checkered buttplate: butt slippage isn't as likely as with a smooth buttplate. However, a negative is that the buttstock is pretty short for me, but then shooting military rifles is all about adapting the shooter to the rifle...

Load data as follows:
Converted 470 NE cases, sized, trimmed and neckturned (a must to be able to use a .458 bullet), and necksized for some light neck tension. After fireforming, only the neck needs to be lightly sized.
85 grs of Swiss no.5 (Fg) with card overpowder wad
Lube cookie of beeswax and lard, with another card wad under the bullet
30:1 .450 bullet patched up to .458, 520 gr weight, round nose configuration of my own design
6 deep, long exhales between shots then gave the following result: 1 low, 1 high, another low right before I found the correct point of aim. If she does like this at the match, I'll be happy... Then everything else is down to the 'nut behind', the weak link...

Of course, this is another 500/450 cartridge, which without exception seem to be pretty promising accuracy-wise, a close cousin of no.2 Musket - just the shoulder set further back and sloped at a steeper angle. I actually use my no. 2 Musket die set for case conversion.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1479
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Everyone knows Martini's aren't accurate...

Post by Brent » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:54 am

I've never heard anyone say Martinis aren't accurate. In fact, I frequently hear just the opposite. And all of them that I have seen, except my well worn .577-450, have been. What are the sights on this rifle.

Sounds like you are well prepared for the competition season, Gert.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 448
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Re: Everyone knows Martini's aren't accurate...

Post by martinibelgian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:52 am

Military rifle, so bog-standard open military sights. V ladder rear with inverted V front - as someone once joked, 'looking through a railroad cutting at an egyptian pyramid....' :D

BUTTON_POST_REPLY