New Shiloh "Quigley" Owner

This is the place to discuss your duplex and smokeless loads for your black powder guns. All SAFETY concerns must be addressed, and high pressure loads are NOT to be promoted here.
Call Turner
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: New Shiloh "Quigley" Owner

Post by Call Turner » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 am

Two questions: First, do you anneal your cases every time you shoot them or is it a one time thing? Second , what is the best way to"smoke" a cast bullet? I've always used a felt pen with jacketed bullets , but it seems not to work so well on cast. Ink doesn't come off, just penatrates and sticcks. Thanks, Mike.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:51 am

Unless your shooting starline cases there's probably no need to mess with annealing. Even with starline the jury is hung on whether annealing is necessary.
No need to smoke a bullet, if the alloy is so hard that the rifling marks won't show up on the the driving band, well that could be part of your problem..

You're trying to make somethng that's as easy as falling off a log into some sort of extension of Einsteins theory...

Get some decent bullets cast no harder than 20-1, sized .458, full length resize you cases, prime with a large rifle primer. Charge with 25 grs of 5744 for a 500 gr bullet and seat it to the driving band. Get a decent set of bench bags and go shoot.
But unless and until you clean the lead out of that barrel from those lopsided undersized bullets you crimped and tried to drive to fast, you're just going to keep spinning in circles.

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Starline recomends annealing their brass.

Kelley O.

zrifleman
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:35 am

Post by zrifleman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Annealing any brand of brass does 2 things---it helps the case mouth on firing to seal the bore and eliminate blow by past the case mouth and provides more even neck tension on the bullet.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:39 pm

zrifleman wroteCOLONAnnealing any brand of brass does 2 things---it helps the case mouth on firing to seal the bore and eliminate blow by past the case mouth and provides more even neck tension on the bullet.
IF its done right, :wink: done wrong and you start sending brass jacketed bullets down range...... :roll:

Call Turner
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Post by Call Turner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:29 am

OK, so I got the load thing figured out.Gun now shoots paper good enough to satisfy me at close range. (50-100 yds) without falling off a log! Now to move on, I am the not so proud owner of about 90lbs of hard , lopsided lead. I know how to remove the lube,melt and cast into ingots. What I don't know is how to soften it. Say between 20-1 to 30-1. I also have some that are supposedto be at 22-1 but the ones I weighed veried in weight up to 9 grains a piece.So into a seperate pot they will go. The new bullets I got from Montana precision swaging only veried about 1/2 to 3/4 gr. and they were lubed also. After I figure out the hardness of the lopsided lead, can it be made softer? Thanks to all, Mike.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:22 am

Probably just mix about 1lb of pure lead to every 9 of the hard stuff will bring things to where they're managable.

Lumpy Grits
PostsCOLON 171
JoinedCOLON Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:06 pm
LocationCOLON The Mojave Desert...... Palmdale, Ca. U.S.A.

Post by Lumpy Grits » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Order some bullets from Sagebrush(PJ#45001 :wink: ) or Buffalo Arms Co.
Neck size brass only, use an almost slip fit with little to NO neck tension on the bullets.
NO CRIMP.
GO BLACK :lol:
Cheers,
LG
"Having you along, is like losing two good men"

ireload2
PostsCOLON 72
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Post by ireload2 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:38 pm

>>>>done wrong and you start sending brass jacketed bullets down range......<<<<

That is pretty much a black powder only problem.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY