Duplex for 45-110 fouling control

This is the place to discuss your duplex and smokeless loads for your black powder guns. All SAFETY concerns must be addressed, and high pressure loads are NOT to be promoted here.
Mecharius
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:33 am
LocationCOLON Washington

Duplex for 45-110 fouling control

Post by Mecharius » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:34 pm

I am looking at Duplex Loads purely for fouling control. I stick to pure BP when shootinh from the rest, but sometimes I like to take my rifle up for mountain hikes, where having a cleaning rod and blowtube out and ready may not always be the easiest. I have been looking at ways to keep my bore clean-ish (relatively) to maintain accuracy over multiple shots during this "field" range time.

Rifle
C Sharps Arms 1874 Bridgeport 45-110

Normal powder of preference
Swiss 1.5 F

Bullet
Buffalo Arms 545 grain .446 for paper patch

Smokeless rifle powders i have
IMR 3031
Benchmark

Open to suggestion on what powder to use, and what grain to start with and work up from. Willing to try other powders than what I have already of course, but maybe I will get lucky and one of the two I use the most will work.
Any suggestions, information, or anecdotes would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

MikeR
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Duplex for 45-110 fouling control

Post by MikeR » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:24 pm

In my Shiloh's I use a .440" 20/1 bullet patched with 9# onion skin from thepapermillstore.com. They are about .004- .005" smaller than bore. Try 100 to 110 grains of Old Eynsford 2f with a card wad cut from paper milk cartons then compressed to .400" below the case mouth. Then add a .25" lube wad of DGL and top it with another milk carton wad and then use a bushing die or taper crimp die to reduce the case mouth to hold the bullet.

This is a load very similar to what I use for hunting. The wiping rod stays in the truck and the blow tube stays home. Swiss is my least favorite powder for shooting "dirty", the fouling is too gummy. My favorite powder is KIK 2f but preliminary test with OE seem to be going well. Try this and maybe you wont want to try duplex loads.

\

Freedom
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Post by Freedom » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 pm

BlackHorn 209 is factory mixed duplex powder mixed with real KIK BP and nitro... And it works GREAT!

The powder just took 1st and 2nd place at the Montana 1000 shooting match when temps went to over 105 degrees with no fouling control. Of course the guns were being directed by a couple of the best shooters around.

If you are going to duplex, BH209 is the only way to go. Recoil and velocity can get too high for my taste with a full case but single digit ES is easily obtained with a filler like Cream of Wheat used over the powder to fill any extra case capacity.

It seems to cost more, but 36 grains with get you to top BP velocity, so you don't need much

Kurt
PostsCOLON 611
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm

I load my hunting loads pretty much like MikeR does but I patch a thousand tighter with a 3/16" of soft lube wad/very soft is the key for shooting with out using fouling control. I have shot over 80 rounds with out the use of a blow tube or wiping to do this, it can be done and still hold 2MOA what I call hunting accuracy. All you need is a soft bullet 1/20 or softer patched 2-3 thousands under bore or even to groove diameter by just seating the bullet deeper in the case so the ogive is not making contact with the throat. Put a very thin wad over the powder like the plastic sealed tools come in or what the donuts come in the plastic containers and a very soft lube wad followed with a stiff .060" card under the bullet to scrape the bore of the previous shot fired and the thin wad under the lube will leave more lube behind to keep the fouling soft.
Kurt

BUTTON_POST_REPLY