DZ or MVA Scope

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
Kurt
PostsCOLON 658
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Re: DZ or MVA Scope

Post by Kurt » Sat May 21, 2016 8:19 am

I use both scopes. I have the MVA 28" and the DZ.
The glass is good in both scopes. Both have good parallax adjustments that is very important. 6x or 8x I see no problem with. Either works just fine for me.

The mounts I favor the DZ, hands down. The MVA mounts are hard for me to see to make windage changes and they have a lot of back lash before they move the tube. It's hard to beat the Unertl mounts for repeatability for windage and elevation. Changing the elevation with the MVA rear mount you have to be careful when you loosen the cam to make a change. The tube has a plastic bushing that holds the tube and it will twist in it's frame, this changes the elevation if you don't square it back up before you tighten the lock cam and this makes a lot of difference in long range elevation. Just another thing to keep in mind when adjusting the scope.
The biggest problem with the MVA scope I have is the reticle barrel twisting after a few shots fired. It ends up as a X instead of a + Changed the barrel and screws and it did not make them solid till I used fingernail polish and glued it in. Bad deal!!

For repeatability in adjustments I would go with the DZ anytime. I know nothing about the B5. You guys that have one, I would like to know if you see a problem with that little hairpin spring with a roller holding the scope tube up. Is it strong enough to do this with a lot of use in time? Or does it get soft with time??
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 am

The spring on mine works great. The spring on original Winchester b5s seem to hold up fine too.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Post by bruce moulds » Sat May 21, 2016 4:10 pm

what about the leatherwood scope in say dz mounts?
they say this scope is sealed.
keep safe,
bruce.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691

Post by Brent » Sat May 21, 2016 6:02 pm

Been there, done that, Bruce.

It works but somehow, not too well for me.

The crosshairs are a little fat. But realistically there's not a lot wrong with it butt, the MVA B5 will do all of that and more or less.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Bruce it would make a good hunting scope as it is sealed and nitrogen filled, but like Brent says the crosshairs are a bit thick.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Mon May 23, 2016 10:09 am

Kurt wroteCOLON
The mounts I favor the DZ, hands down. The MVA mounts are hard for me to see to make windage changes and they have a lot of back lash before they move the tube. It's hard to beat the Unertl mounts for repeatability for windage and elevation. Changing the elevation with the MVA rear mount you have to be careful when you loosen the cam to make a change. The tube has a plastic bushing that holds the tube and it will twist in it's frame, this changes the elevation if you don't square it back up before you tighten the lock cam and this makes a lot of difference in long range elevation. Just another thing to keep in mind when adjusting the scope.
I have a B5, DZ Arms, and a couple of the 23" MVA scopes. I agree with you 100% on the MVA mounts. If I could quickly and easily read my windage I would be a lot happier with them. The little bushing in the rear mount has tripped me up a couple of times too. A lot of people seem to use them sucessfully though, but you have to really learn how to use them effectively. I like the DZ mounts but would like to try them on my 23" MVA scope with the mildot reticle. That might be the ideal combination for me I suspect.

Chris.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691

Post by Brent » Mon May 23, 2016 10:16 am

Chris, I watched someone using a long MVA scope (longer than 23" think) with the DZs last weekend. He did really well with it.

I don't see a dimes worth of difference between the DZ and the MVA B5 target mounts, in terms of ease of use, however. I've had both and opted for the B5 in the end. When you refer to MVA scopes or mounts, it matters a lot exactly which MVA scopes or mounts you are referring too. They are very very different models.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:37 am

Go to MVA's site and look at the #2 mounts. They are slightly smaller than the dz unrtl but other than that they adjust the same and you have the same reference marks.
The new B5 in #2 mounts for Carols 22 just came today, so now I can claim my other 23 inch with the Scheutzen mounts back and replace that Schuetzen mount with a spare #2 I have on hand.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:48 am

Top to bottom
18 inch leatherwood in DZ mounts
MVA B5 with the #2 mount
MVA Silhouette with the big knobs on the bottom.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Mon May 23, 2016 5:46 pm

Brent wroteCOLONChris, I watched someone using a long MVA scope (longer than 23" think) with the DZs last weekend. He did really well with it.

I don't see a dimes worth of difference between the DZ and the MVA B5 target mounts, in terms of ease of use, however. I've had both and opted for the B5 in the end. When you refer to MVA scopes or mounts, it matters a lot exactly which MVA scopes or mounts you are referring too. They are very very different models.
I agree about the B5 mounts and the DZ ones both being easy to use. The nicest part about the DZ mounts are that they have more elevation. But then the B5 is a bit more period correct than an Unertl copy for a highwall shooting black powder, if that matters :-).

Interestingly I have both the Silhouette and Schuetzen mounts on my 23" MVA's. I'm a lefty and quickly realized that the Silhouette mount is not for me as the elevation scale is on the wrong side for me. Mind you, it's not too hard to tip the rifle a bit :-). I tried the MVA "moa knobs" and am not convinced that they are the way to go either. I had them come loose on me ( user error ) and it took me a few misses to figure out what was going on :-) . I think those knobs are just one more potential failure point.

After playing with all of these I think that my choice of scopes depends on the rifle it's being mounted on. I mostly shoot highwalls and Shiloh's. I'd use a B5 or DZ on the highwalls, and 23" MVA on the Sharps, but probably with DZ mounts :-).

Chris.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Tue May 24, 2016 8:34 am

"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 126
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:56 am

You know it is just nice we have several new product options to use now days. They all work well too. I have enjoyed the Unertl/Fecker style mounts for easy of changing settings and D-Z being Black colored with white markings are certainly the easiest to read of them all.

My Leatherwood 6X 19" scope has old set of Fecker mounts on it. This was my first scope. I use that currently on my CPA in .22s. I can go out to 300 yards with ease using this scope on my CPA rifle.

My MVA's is a 6X 23" that I put D-Z mounts on it. This was my second scope. I was able to get from another shooter. I use it on the Rolling block and on a C. Sharps "Winchester 1885". This is a very ease combination to work with.

My third scope was an older Fecker 6x, but sold it when I got my D-Z scope. Nothing wrong with this scope, I was just not using it anymore and another shooter wanted it.

My D-Z scope is a 8X with D-Z mounts. This was my 4th scope that I got directly from D-Z arms. I use it on my Shiloh Sharps and .22 Ballard. Again, a very nice combination to use.

Each one of these scopes have their strong points. I know JC and Dan, both back their products with great service. (I have not had many problems with either, but I know I could call either and talk directly to them if I had any questions. That goes a long way with me.) I have not had any problems with my Leatherwood either, but I do not know who to contact it I did. I have looked through the New MVA A5 scopes and they are clear as a bell! Nice value too. If you can, go to a match and look through some of these scopes and see what appeals to you for what you are going to use it for. All of mine are use for the silhouette game, whether it is BPCR or the .22 BPCR. Even if you like shooting Iron sights, being able to put a scope on your rifle to check loads is very handy!

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Brent wroteCOLON
Mon May 23, 2016 10:16 am
First dive into these waters so bare with me... When Kurt says "Changing the elevation with the MVA rear mount you have to be careful when you loosen the cam to make a change. The tube has a plastic bushing that holds the tube and it will twist in it's frame, this changes the elevation if you don't square it back up before you tighten the lock cam and this makes a lot of difference in long range elevation. Just another thing to keep in mind when adjusting the scope" Does the plastic bushing still come into play with the MVA B5 mounts or is that not an apples to apples comparison?

Also, been following a Kidwell post on a the Shiloh forum about a new MVA mount and wondering if the plastic bushing is present there as well?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691

Post by Brent » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:31 pm

There is no plastic anything on the MVA B5. I think Kurt was referring only to the Malcolm style of scope which is very different than either the B5 or the new MVAs.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks Brent!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY