DZ or MVA Scope

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
GSP
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sat May 07, 2016 7:09 pm

DZ or MVA Scope

Post by GSP » Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 pm

I am looking into buying a scope for my Shiloh, looking at both DZ and MVA scopes. Any recommendations on which one to buy?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: DZ or MVA Scope

Post by Brent » Thu May 19, 2016 7:03 pm

What are you going to shoot with it? If it is silhouettes or midrange, I would opt for the MVA B5 with the target mounts. It is a great scope and also one of the cheapest around.

if you want to shoot to 1000 yds, then I would look at the DZ. Even with the extended vertical they have in the rear mount, you may still need a taller rear block but Dan will set you up, I'm sure. They are great scopes with a bit more magnification (8x I believe). But they cost quite a bit and won't shoot silhouettes any better than a B5.

I would not buy the MVA thousand-series scopes with the Malcomb style mounts. They can be used well, but they are very expensive and somewhat cumbersome to operate under the time constraints of silhouette. They can do well at long range, but be sure you have the right blocks.

Just my opinion. DZ and MVA are both super people to work with, and you really can't go wrong here.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 pm

23 inch MVA with the #2 mounts.

GSP
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sat May 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Post by GSP » Fri May 20, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks for the input. I will be shooting silhouettes.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1038
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Fri May 20, 2016 8:37 am

FWIW, at the recent Texas State BPCR large bore silhouette & BPCRA .22 silhouette matches, being a scope shooter, I made an informal survey of the guys (& gals) using scopes. Between the two categories there were 60 shooters total. Besides my 10X Fecker, there were a few with MVA's, but the majority used DZ Arms scopes. Of course I may have missed a few.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:09 am

Wayne do you suppose the number of DZ's could be more related to the proximity? I think you'll find you get further to the north and west MVA will likely be the greater numbers.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1038
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 am

Ranch 13 wroteCOLONWayne do you suppose the number of DZ's could be more related to the proximity? I think you'll find you get further to the north and west MVA will likely be the greater numbers.
I doubt it has anything to do with regional location but have no idea. Where the scope is manufactured would definitely not be a factor if I were trying to decide. Some of the guys I spoke with said they went with DZ due to the magnification advantage (8X vs 6X), adjustment range and simplicity of the adjustments. And I’m not about to get into a discussion on the validity of the comments. I’ve got friends that use both DZ Arms and MVA.

If I was making a decision, price notwithstanding, I’d pick the DZ scope due to the 8X magnification & the extended range Unertl-style adjustments. But, you have to remember that I use 10X Fecker scopes on my rifles, which use Unertl-style adjustments.

Wayne
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691

Post by Brent » Fri May 20, 2016 10:02 am

Last year at the BPCR Nationals, in scope class, there were
MVA 50
DZ 5
Fecker 1
Parsons 1
Post Oak Guns 1
N/A 1

However, when looking at just the mounts
MVA 40
DZ 15
NA 2
Fecker 1
Unertl 1

Scope power
6x 49
8x 6
5x 4
N/A 1

Unfortunately, it does not split the MVAs up into the different models. The B5 is growing in popularity but it is much newer. The 4000 series scopes are probably the most abundant of the MVAs. All the B5 are 5x of course and there are only 4 5x scopes listed. I think the DZs are all 8xs and the other MVAs can vary some.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 am

Those Winchester B scopes, I believe can be had in 3,4 and 5 x. Be that as it may we sure like the little bugger in 5x, the nice thing now with those B's you can choose from a variety of reticles.
We had a DZ scope, but found the 8x to much of a good thing for the offhand and closer range shooting.
The #2 mounts from MVA are very nice, but the draw back on those is changing the rear block when going to distances beyond 600, but that 2-600 block covers silhouette and midrange just fine.
Ideally I think the best set up would be a 23 inch MVA set in the DZ mounts.
Also the Sommerfeld scopes are gathering an enthusiastic following. I have not personally used one but I know folks that do.

.22Ballard
PostsCOLON 29
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Post by .22Ballard » Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm

"Wayne do you suppose the number of DZ's could be more related to the proximity? I think you'll find you get further to the north and west MVA will likely be the greater numbers".

Dan's mounts are far superior to MVA's. Look around and you'll even see MVA's with DZ Arms mounts on them. I use a Unertl 6x Small Game Scope with DZ Arms rear mount.

kokomokid
PostsCOLON 84
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by kokomokid » Fri May 20, 2016 5:27 pm

The low number of DZ scopes may be due to them not being made for very long. I very much like my DZ scope but you do have more varity in length and cross hairs with a MVA. Both great people to deal with.
PS; I do NOT see the 8x power bothering Zimmerman or Ransberg when they shoot chickens.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1038
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Fri May 20, 2016 5:35 pm

kokomokid wroteCOLONThe low number of DZ scopes may be due to them not being made for very long. I very much like my DZ scope but you do have more varity in length and cross hairs with a MVA. Both great people to deal with.
PS; I do NOT see the 8x power bothering Zimmerman or Ransberg when they shoot chickens.
Larry,

My 10X Fecker doesn't bother me when I shoot chickens, but I have to hit one first to find out. :mrgreen:

Wayne

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691

Post by Brent » Fri May 20, 2016 5:45 pm

I have shot a 4X unertl with the DZ mounts. But I prefer the 5x MVA B5. I don't think it gives up anything to the DZ in terms of Mount quality. If you want more mags then you need the DZ.

I just rolled in to the Hide Out Hunting lodge near the Miller Range in Eastfor a 2 day match. I wish I could post a picture of it right now. Sitting on the porch on a spectacular evening. A couple yellow labs and a really good beer for company. You should be here! Lots of BPCR history happened here.

.22Ballard
PostsCOLON 29
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Post by .22Ballard » Fri May 20, 2016 6:45 pm

To clarify, I think the DZ mounts are superior to silhouette & schuetzen mounts on the 28" MVA scopes that I've owned/shot. I've never shot using the B5 MVA scope so I don't have an opinion on that scope. For .22 BPCR silhouette I'm using DZ scopes, a 10x Lyman Jr Target Spot, and a Unertl 6x Small Game scope with DZ rear mount. I prefer the Lyman, the mount is identical to the DZ and clearer than the others.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:40 pm

You can get the # 2 mounts for the 23 and 28 inch scopes as well as the B5.
The DZ scope was a good scope, but after my wife ran around 750 rounds with it she just couldn't get used to the 8 x. Put the MVA back on her rifle and she is shooting much better

BUTTON_POST_REPLY