Sights

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
long branch louie
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Sights

Post by long branch louie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:09 pm

I have a Shiloh Sharps on order, hopefully I will receive it in May or June. I ordered it with only the barrel and blade sights because I wasn't sure what tang sight I wanted to buy. Can anyone tell me their experiences with Soule Tang sights by MVA, Shaver, etc.? I'm looking at the mid range Soule from MVA, I shoot buffalo matches out to about 300 yards and that's about it....

Brent
PostsCOLON 1516
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Sights

Post by Brent » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:12 pm

The MVA midrange soule is about as good as it gets. There are several that are reported be "as good" and they probably are, Steve Baldwin's comes to mind along with Hoke and there are more. But you don't beat MVA, esp. if you are right handed (Hoke might be easier for lefties).

Midrange will reach 600 with ease and probably 800+. Most cannot not quite reach 1000 with it.

Do you really want a Soule however? If you anticipate cranking windage from one shot to the next, the Soule is it and I have a bunch of them. But if you are NOT doing that with your sights, then the Vernier sight is a sleeker deal, less likely to drift off your zero accidentally. I use the MVA verniers for all of my hunting rifles.

MVA does more than maybe any other company to support the competitive matches so I support them in return, but I do so knowing I've also got the best gear on my gun. You can't go wrong with MVA ever - and if it needs a tune up from time to time, they do it quick and free.

I guess I might quality as an MVA fan, huh? :)
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1516

Post by Brent » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:12 pm

The MVA midrange soule is about as good as it gets. There are several that are reported be "as good" and they probably are, Steve Baldwin's comes to mind along with Hoke and there are more. But you don't beat MVA, esp. if you are right handed (Hoke might be easier for lefties).

Midrange will reach 600 with ease and probably 800+. Most cannot not quite reach 1000 with it.

Do you really want a Soule however? If you anticipate cranking windage from one shot to the next, the Soule is it and I have a bunch of them. But if you are NOT doing that with your sights, then the Vernier sight is a sleeker deal, less likely to drift off your zero accidentally. I use the MVA verniers for all of my hunting rifles.

MVA does more than maybe any other company to support the competitive matches so I support them in return, but I do so knowing I've also got the best gear on my gun. You can't go wrong with MVA ever - and if it needs a tune up from time to time, they do it quick and free.

I guess I might quality as an MVA fan, huh? :)

long branch louie
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Post by long branch louie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Is there a cheaper source than buying thru Shiloh? I want a quality sight, but if I can buy it a little cheaper it's OK with me...

Brent
PostsCOLON 1516

Post by Brent » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 pm

I doubt is it any cheaper, but you can buy direct from http://www.montanavintagearms.com. That's what I do. They are apparently really busy at the moment but they might also have what you want in stock. Always good to just give them a phone call.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1551
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:23 pm

Keep in mind if you order the sight from Shiloh and request it to be mounted on your rifle , they do so at no extra charge, and it will be mounted square and ready to go. No leveling etc required.

cal50
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Post by cal50 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Baldwin & MVA are top shelf gear.
Buy once / cry once and enjoy shooting and not fighting your gear.

http://www.baldwin-sights.com/

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 362
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 pm

I'd also go with MVA. I've used a number of different manufacturers sights and like the MVA's the most. Several years ago I bought a Shaver deluxe sight as a couple of people told me they were just as good. That rifle has an MVA on it now.

It is nice if you can get Shiloh to mount the sights. I've done a few of them, but Shiloh does a better job than I do :-), particularly if shimming the base is required.

With respect to a front sight, if you are target shooting, the low profile with spirit level is the one you'll likely want. The closer the center of the aperture sits to the barrel, the lower your sight setting will be for a given distance.

Chris.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 362
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 pm

One more thing. I have only one rifle with barrel sights and I regret ordering them. Maybe if the rifle was used for hunting they'd be a good choice, but for targets at close range ( 200 yards or so ) I find that they clutter up my sight picture when looking through my rear soule. Once you get some elevation on the soule it's not a problem though.

That's just my $0.02 and probably not worth much more. I know some people really like their barrel sights.

Chris.

mule skinner
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

Post by mule skinner » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:21 pm

It has been pretty well said by other posters here. Buy the best you can and you only buy once. That being said
I think the Hoke sight is the best and strongest on the market. He is one heck of a guy to deal with to.
I don't live in the middle of nowhere but I can see the edge of it from here.

oldschool
PostsCOLON 30
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am

Post by oldschool » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 am

I have mid range Baldwin tang for Sharps for sale in the classified section.
oldschool

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
JoinedCOLON Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Post by shovel80 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:52 pm

The Wife and I use the Hoke LR Sight on our BPCR's..

Terry

Hiwall55
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON on the banks of the Mississippi river

Post by Hiwall55 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:36 am

I'm sure I now have 7 Hoke sights on BPCR rifles. Been using the for 15 years, his and MVA are the best.

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:19 am

I agree with Bill, as those Hoke sights are mighty fine.
Old age ... it ain't for sissies!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY