Wiping rods?

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
.22-5-40
PostsCOLON 40
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Wiping rods?

Post by .22-5-40 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 am

Getting back into black powder shooting..going to try P.P. this year in .40-70 Ballard. I have seen alot of posts about using Delrin wiping rods..I have read where these can go around corners..upright tang sights, etc. But besides that, is there a reason for Delron? What about grit sticking to the soft plastic? Thanks!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1517
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Wiping rods?

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 am

There are limits to what a rod can bend around. An upright tang sight might be one of them, but they do allow you to get the rod quicky into the breech and back out. It is much faster than a steel rod that requires a chamber guide.

As for grit in the plastic? It's going to take a lot of data to convince me that that is a real risk. After shooting many thousands of rounds and wiping 1-3 patches with a delrin rod between each and every shot, I am convinced that "embedded grit" issue is another internet legend. The rifles are shooting better than ever.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

bobw
PostsCOLON 53
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:16 am
LocationCOLON SD

Post by bobw » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:42 am

I don't allways agree with Brent, but his advice on this is a bullseye from 1000 yds out in the wind(full value). bobw

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Brent, You sure the rifle is shooting better than ever, or you finally listening to Al better? LOL

Brent
PostsCOLON 1517
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 pm

John, I'm a little bit more deaf every year (so is Al!). So, I don't think it's that. It might be that I am finally getting the whole rifle-ammo-wiping system working well. BTW, there are rumors that someone else might be shooting them at Raton this year (and shooting well to boot). One of these days, someone else is going to figure this out, and I think that day is coming real soon.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY