Pedersoli sights

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
Steve H
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Pedersoli sights

Post by Steve H » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:30 pm

I have 2 new Pedersoli rifles, a Bodine, rolling block and a Boss Gun Sharps, both with factory sights.
My problem is that with the sights folded down a straight rod can't be used for cleaning. The sight does not go down far enough. If I remove the staff to clean it is very very hard to get it back on due to high spring pressure of the detent spring.

Does anyone have a solution.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: Pedersoli sights

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Those are two different versions of the same sight.
Will they lay down to the rear ... or only forward?
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Steve H
PostsCOLON 7

Post by Steve H » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:26 pm

They go both ways with no problems except that unless the sight is set at a very high level it will not fold back far enough to
give me access to the bore.
You can't be cranking the sight way up between shots to clean. Am I going to have to go to a flex rod??

Steve H
PostsCOLON 7

Post by Steve H » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:28 pm

To the best of my knowledge they are identical sights.

otis campbell
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm
LocationCOLON SW Iowa

Post by otis campbell » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:28 pm

It should lay down to the back to give you enough room..or I like the delrin rods that Arizona Sharpshooters sells on their website. They are just flexible enough that should work well for you.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Steve H wroteCOLONTo the best of my knowledge they are identical sights.
According to the Pedersoli website, the Sharps ships with the USA 465 while the Bodine rolling block gets the USA 430 (long range version).
Steve H wroteCOLONThey go both ways with no problems except that unless the sight is set at a very high level it will not fold back far enough to
give me access to the bore.
A delrin wiping rod is a handy thing, no matter how your sight works, but ...
Do you have both of those sights mounted with the long leg of the base pointing forward?

CM

Steve H
PostsCOLON 7

Post by Steve H » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:06 am

You are right on the model #'s. Sorry
The instructions say that the elongated hole goes to the front and that puts the long leg to the back. I tried it both ways and their way seems to work better.
I know on the web site it shows them the other way.

Thanks

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:29 am

Steve H wroteCOLONI know on the web site it shows them the other way.
... and, is it the sight base which interfers with laying the staff down far enough to run a wiping rod?

If you look at a hundred pictures of Sharps rifles with tang sights mounted, I bet you won't see one with the long leg to the rear.
That directional configuration is correct for Winchesters, but not Sharps.

Turn your bases around and I bet you will be happier.

Even with that correction ... you may STILL want a Delrin rod. I use mine all of the time.

CM

Steve H
PostsCOLON 7

Post by Steve H » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 am

Why would Pedersoli tell me to put it on the other way unless it is a typo?
Yes I tried it the other way and it still runs into the high comb on the stock unless it is set very low. Yes I have one of the flex rods already. Since I like to crawl the stock and like to stay back a fair bit from the eyepiece I may leave it the way it is.
You did not say whether it was normal for it to be so hard to put the staff back in due to spring pressure.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 am

Steve H wroteCOLONWhy would Pedersoli tell me to put it on the other way unless it is a typo?
With no opportunity to read the instructions for myself, I can't answer your question. Perhaps something was 'lost' when translating from Italian to English.
Yes I tried it the other way and it still runs into the high comb on the stock unless it is set very low.
To begin, you were displeased that you had to run the eyepiece so high to get the staff to lay down. Now, your complaint is that it must be very low to miss the comb. I bet that when the eyepiece is resting on the comb, you have room to run a rigid rod through the bore ... no?
Since I like to crawl the stock and like to stay back a fair bit from the eyepiece I may leave it the way it is.
Shooting form is a personal preference.
You did not say whether it was normal for it to be so hard to put the staff back in due to spring pressure.
The spring is usually quite stiff. You could thin the body of the spring in order to make that job easier ...

CM

Steve H
PostsCOLON 7

Post by Steve H » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 am

It would help if I talked less and listened more.
You were correct on all points for the rolling block, turned it around and 10 minutes with a dremmel and file and all is perfect. Bore is clear for rod at all settings mainly due to high bore.
Different story on the Sharps but flex rod will fix that.

Only thing left to look at is the fact that it is impossible to load a full length round in the rolling block without pulling back on the hammer to let case clear top of hammer (45-90). No I can not grind any off the hammer or it will not touch firing pin.

Thanks again:

ireload2
PostsCOLON 72
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Post by ireload2 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm

The pivot point on the Pedersoli sights is designed too low for use on the Sharps. If the front of the sight was higher when laid down backward the top of the staff would lay closer to the comb of the stock. The sight disks and the elevation slide are also way too thick front to rear which also causes the sight bulk to be too great to lay down out of the way.

mdeland
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Post by mdeland » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Build or have made a Delrin muzzle protecting rod guide that goes down the barrel about an inch and clean from the muzzle. I've been doing this for a very long time. For wet and dry patching from the breech , make or buy a Delrin rod from Steve Rhodes in Arizona. They will noodle around most sight staffs to push patches through and they have a jag machined into the Delrin rod end. I put my gun upside down in the range box cleaning cradle and all the fouling falls out and does not go down in the action. The Delrin muzzle protector works at least as well to keep the hard cleaning rods off the bore as does a chamber guide on the breech end. Mike D.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY