Spotting Scope your help needed

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
BigMo
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Wed May 17, 2006 2:17 pm

Spotting Scope your help needed

Post by BigMo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:36 am

I have been considering a new Kowa 82 mm spotting scope with angled eye piece and 20-60 x lens.
I have a cheap bushnell now but I want a better scope for longer range and clear less blury view.
I do wear glasses...........

What is your opinion of this scope if you have one ?
What scope do you have and would you like a better one ?
What scope w/20-60x would you buy for under $1000.00.

P.S. I only want to buy one, it should last my life time.
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan.
If God offends you I'm not sorry. Use the right we allow everyone and leave.

shooter37
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Spotting Scope your help needed

Post by shooter37 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 am

I have a Kowa 821 and there is no better for spotting sillouhette shooting. I use the 27X ER eyepeice.
It is clear and bright in virtually all weather conditions. It beats all the others I have seen or used.
Been using it for 6 years.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1516
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:51 am

I like the 82 mm Kowa. I prefer the zoom to the fixed eyepiece unless you are always shooting silhouette or Creedmoor and never .22s or some such.

I prefer the straight scope and eye piece unless it is to be a lay-down scope. From prone, the angled can't be beat. But from any other position, straight wins hands down in my book.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

41Wyo
PostsCOLON 58
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:29 am
LocationCOLON Maplewood, MN

Post by 41Wyo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:59 pm

A year ago I had a chnace to look a collection of scopes set-up at a BR match. They were there intentionally to let match participants look through them and make comparisons. These scopes were directed to the terrain and a small sign way beyond the 200-yard paper targets. For me, I kept going back to the Carl Zeiss DiaScope 85 T* FL. My wife witnessed this and there was one under the Christmas tree at the end of the year (09). At my first ever BPCR sil match 2-weeks ago, I set this scope up next to a Kowa (didn't get the model #) and (to me) the targets and area surrounding them through the Kowa looked cloudy compared to the Zeiss. The owner of the Kowa compared the two and mentioned how good the images were. When I wasn't using it to spot for my buddy, I noticed the Kowa owner was always using mine to watch other shooters and spot for his partner. Mine has the angled eye peice and suits me just fine for all uses.

You said...a one time purchase....so be prepared for the price of the Zeiss. I feel the same way. If this one gets stolen or gets badly damaged, the replacement will be the same product. I should note that my scope prior to this one was a Bushnell 22.5---45X Sapcemeaster. Not a bad scope but now I'm spoiled!

Tom

Brent
PostsCOLON 1516
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Yeah, what Tom said about the Zeiss. Look first at the price tag. If you can't afford it, DO NOT!!! look through it. Ditto a Leica. Either makes a regular, nonflorite Kowa look a bit shabby in my opinion. But otherwise, the Kowa will last you a lifetime. Some of the comparably priced Nikons will match the Kowa as well.

I looked through a high end Swarovski that was next to my Kowa one day. I liked the Kowa much better. But a Zeiss or Leica? No contest - for those that can afford them.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Dave Maurer
PostsCOLON 55
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:34 am

Post by Dave Maurer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 pm

I really don't understand all the questions about the high dollar spotting scopes. With BPCR guns shooting steel targets you are looking for a 3 or4 inch mark on a black target along with mirage and wind flags. If you are shooting .22s at 200 you need all the scope you can get. But BPCR guns at steel, a good pair of binoculars work fine. If you are shooting mid range or creedmpoor the target puller will put a plug in the target you can see without any help. I guess if you want to spend a bunch of money and enter the spotting scope races that's fine. Here is a scope like the one I have been using for over 50 years and I'm still satisfied with it.

eBay # 160464081541

Dave

Kurt
PostsCOLON 611
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:32 pm

I have the Kowa 821-M with the angle 27 LER and it is a good scope bur my old Redfield 60 MM is a lot sharper, but the angle eye piece is a lot handier while sitting behind it.
I have looked through some of the smaller 66-62 MM? Kowas that I think are a better quality than the 821.
The thing about Scopes/binoculars buy the best you can afford and go some place like Cabela's that have a selection and have them set some up out side (they will do this) and look in the dark shadows at a long distance and decide which one you want.
And dont forget the tripod. a scope is only as good as what's holding it. Best thing I found on the market is one of Cabintrees tripod

Kurt

ireload2
PostsCOLON 72
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 pm

Post by ireload2 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:10 am

Check the spotting scope evaluations out here.
http://betterviewdesired.com/70-80mm-Sp ... Scopes.php

BUTTON_POST_REPLY