What scope do I have and does someone make blocks....

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
cedestech
PostsCOLON 24
JoinedCOLON Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:05 pm

What scope do I have and does someone make blocks....

Post by cedestech » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:12 am

I believe it is an repro of an A5? The blocks for the mounts are much wider then regular.

It's brass with a thin or very worn coat of black paint/stain. Seems to work fine, glass is good.

Only markings are X8 and 200-50 ft on the objective.

Does anyone make A5 reproduction blocks? I know I can change the mounts but these seem to be nice and work well.

Thanks. :)

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: What scope do I have and does someone make blocks....

Post by Brent » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:52 am

It is most definitely not an A-5 (which are 5X among other differences). I don't know what it is, but the mount you show is different than anything I've seen. I cannot tell much from the photos. Is this even an external adjustable scope (ALL of the adjustment mechanism must be outside the scope if it is). Where is the front mount?

I would say it is not any of the big three Lyman, Fecker, Unertl. It's not a Winchester either.

Sorry that is not much help. You might want to find an old copy of Nick Strobel's book on scopes and page through it. It is in there somewhere, I'll wager.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

cedestech
PostsCOLON 24

Post by cedestech » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:35 am

If you google Winchester A5 8X some references with scopes just like this pop up. My google-foo is usually strong but I can't fine reference to this thing
except in passing. I am fairly sure I could make some mounts but as with most things if someone already makes them it's usually cheaper to buy depending on how you value your time.
Here are some images of the front mount. Looks like the blocks need to be .5" wide.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:58 am

That looks better!

Hmm, it is not made to slide. So my guess is a .22 target scope. It might clamp on to standard blocks that we use of Unertls and so forth.

I would look at Steve Earle's website for blocks. If you don't find something that looks promising, then I would ask him to make some perhaps.
http://www.steveearleproducts.com/index.htm

cedestech
PostsCOLON 24

Post by cedestech » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:14 am

Posted on ASSRA also and apparently it's a Winchester 8X made prewar... Earle is supposed to make the blocks which are kinda a one off. I emailed him to see. I picked it up last year and would like to use it for no other reason then it is 8X as opposed to the Hi Lux I picked up that is 6X, that and it has rudimentary adjustable objective.

I have a Stevens that Taylor rebuilt for me that is iron sights and I have a Uberti copy of what I think is supposed to be a #2 roller that had a horrible barrel and a friend grafted a 24" Barrel on. That is what I'd like to scope.

Thanks!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:35 am

It does not look like a Winchester to me. It looks a lot like a Carolyn that may have made some scopes for Winchester. But regardless, the fact that it does not slide and you mention a Remington #2 makes me think you are putting together a .22. If memory serves, a #2 is pretty small for a .40 or .45 caliber.

cedestech
PostsCOLON 24

Post by cedestech » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:02 pm

It's an Uberti rolling block in 22LR. Bought it new because the price was right. Barrel actually had reverse taper, would not shoot anything. It is roughly #4 size but has a bottom tang. Was told it is #2. It's been sitting in the back of the safe since rebarreled because the stock is entirely too small/short. Think I may have that taken care of.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 676
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 pm

That scope looks like one I have looked at on a O-3A-5 rifle sniper rifle. It was a unmarked Weaver 8X and it was mounted on a Weaver side mount on the receiver and a block on the barrel.

I just did a google and I see that the USMC used a Win A-5 scope on the O3A5's
So I cant say if what he had was original. But he said that the scope like it was mounted it could be removed fast to use the rear and ladder sight.
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

cedestech
PostsCOLON 24

Post by cedestech » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:34 am

Believe it's a Winchester 8X that was mostly sold for model 75 target rifles. The bases are a one off for it and that rifle, they are hens teeth and I'll be making them myself... Was hoping someone made them because it's easier to buy then spend the time fabricating but it is what it is... :)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY