vernier sight help

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
jdavis
PostsCOLON 24
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

vernier sight help

Post by jdavis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:10 pm

I have a pedersoli creedmore XL mid range sight mounted on a pedersoli creedmore long range rifle. New to vernier sights. I think I understand the staff and slide mathmatics. But, the staff is divided into 3 identicale one inch segments. Now, does the drop of comb on the rifle determin which of the 3 staff segments I use. Why are there three segments.

Thanks

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: vernier sight help

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 am

I am not sure I am understanding your problem. The staff is 3" long? You set the height of the eyecup to whatever height is necessary to reach the target. Trial and error is generally the way we do it. Start up close - 25 yds or even less and work back.

Height of the comb is pretty much irrelevant to the sight setting. the drop of the wrist below the bore will have some bearing on how high the sight must be set to compensate, but that is all.

a good place to start is to set the height of the eyecup so that you are looking through the barrel sights as if you were using just the barrel sights. See where that lands and adjust accordingly.

Somehow, I have a feeling I'm not really addressing your question, which I don't really understand. Pictures might help?
I'm not from here, I just live here.

jdavis
PostsCOLON 24

Post by jdavis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am

I can certainly see that my question may be a little hard to follow. Let me clear things up alittle. At my range we have 1,2 &3 hundred yard targets. Shooters are not allowed to aim at points in between the targets. So, my closest target will be at 1 hundred yards. I have no rear barrel sight mounted on the barrel. Just the vernier rear sight and the front sight. I do not know how to determin the vernier setting for the 1 hundred yard target. I did try to just start with the verier set as low as possible and see where the bullets hit. I could not find my shots. I also tried to set the vernier in relation to bore sghting the targer by looking down the bore of the barrel. Still no luck. I had.a spotter to help, but no luck. The same problem occured at 2 hundred yards. But. At three hundred yards I was able to get on target and my hits were within 10" of a 12" bulls eye. The vernier was set a few points over the 1 inch staff mark. I am not at home to check the exact setting but can tonight. I cannot figure out why we could not find my hits at a closer target. It must be an operator problem. I am just not properly setting the vernier. I am going to find 45 70 trajectory data. I know that will help. If I can figure the amount of bullet rise from barrel or bullet drop at 3 hundred yards that would help. Maybe by knowing bullet trajectory I can adjust the vernier sight down from 3 hundred yards to one hundred yards.
Thanks

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 am

Ah ha, we can help.

Since you have a number at 300 yds, lets start there and work down.

Take your 300 yds setting and come down 0.12" or points or MOA (which is the wrong term, but widely used). that should get you on paper at 200 yds. Once you are on at 200, with that sight setting come down another 0.12" or so. Again, you should be close enough that you will find bullet holes. Put up a large piece of cardboard for a target backer to help you catch bullets down range.

I don't know what the sight markings on the Pedersoli are like, but if you just measure with a calipers or even a ruler (about 1/8") you should be in the ballpark.

jdavis
PostsCOLON 24

Post by jdavis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks brent, you have really helped me out. The pedersoli vernier sight is like most. The staff is marked in .050" segments and the slide bar is marked in five .01" segments. But, here is a little shake up. I conversed with pedersoli today (rifle maker) and found that with my soul vernier sight I do in fact need a higher front sight to dial in targets below 300yd's. The sight I need and orderd today is a spirit level tube sight with a center .350 higher than the front sight now on the rifle. Seems that the eyecup on my rear sight prevents it from moving low enough to properly line up with the front sight I currently have.I hope to get the new sight in by friday and get shooting saturday. Guess I will just start trying to get on paper at 100yd's. I will keep ya posted.
Thanks

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm

Let us know how it works.

To be honest. I've not heard great things about Pedersoli sights. The rifles are very good, but the sights have a bad rep. It may benefit you to upgrade to someone else down the line.

jdavis
PostsCOLON 24

Post by jdavis » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

I hope the sights will be ok. Any guess on who makes the best?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Yup. Montanavintagearms.com. They are the gold standard. I will say, I'm not such a fan of their front sights, but their tang sights and scopes are darn fine. They have two new scopes that are not on their website.

MikeR
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Post by MikeR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 am

I can understand Brent's concern with the MVA Sharps front sight, especially for hunting. But if the sight insert spring clip is a concern, I see no reason why you could not use a #115/116 Winchester style front sight.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm

I don't know how the 115/116 work. They might be just fine. What holds in the insert?

I like the positive lockup of the inserts in Lyman 17a and Distant Thunder styles of sights. So, I have used them pretty much exclusively. I bend up front sight clips just taking my gun out of the case when I had an Axtell with a spring clip on the top like the MVA.

MikeR
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Post by MikeR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm

The Winchester and Stevens sight insets are retained by a spring clip that slides onto the sight base. The clip can be either plain or have a bubble level.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 pm

That is what I thought. I like the screw-in types I guess.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY