Gong Match

powderburnt
PostsCOLON 129
JoinedCOLON Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm
LocationCOLON AR

Gong Match

Post by powderburnt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Where can I find out how to put on a gong shoot for 15-20 shooters? Or could some one give
me the course of fire? I have 600 yards available and pleny of steel of different sizes. There are no
matches near here.

HG
Spotter to shooter after 5th sighter shot
"NOT RAMS, PIGS!!!!!!" Then he ran the pigs.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Re: Gong Match

Post by Vbull » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:19 pm

HG,
There is no set standard course of fire for gong matches. They generally are set up to favor whatever terrain is available.
Target size is also quite variable. I used to have a gong set up at 1000 yards that was the same size as the NRA long range bull of 44" round.
Painted black you could see gray lead splashes most of the time unless it got too splashed up or the mirage was running hard.

So, the bottom line is whatever your imagination can come up with so long as it is not too hard for beginners. Frank M.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:13 pm

What Vbull said...
Do it they way you want.

powderburnt
PostsCOLON 129
LocationCOLON AR

Post by powderburnt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Yes but, what about sighters, time allowance per shot?

HG

semtav
PostsCOLON 238
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by semtav » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Powderburnt.
just wondering if you have been to any gong shoots, so we know what level of advice to give?
If you've never been to one too see how they run, the advice will have to be more basic.
Are you thinking gong or silhouette since I see you have shot silhouette.

powderburnt
PostsCOLON 129
LocationCOLON AR

Post by powderburnt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Never been to one. I do shoot silhouette. I got the matches going here in
Arkansas 3 years ago and would like to get more people involved. Gong shoots
look like a way for beginners to have more fun and broaden the range of rifles allowed.
Yes, I need all the advice possible to run a match for 15-20 shooters from 50 to 600 yards.
I know nothing about gong matches but I have seen the pictures from Ten-Sleep.

HG

semtav
PostsCOLON 238

Post by semtav » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm sure someone will chime in with better literary skills than I, but I'll try.

First, pick about 5 or 6 different spots to place the gongs 250 or 300 to 600 yds.
Some like the shorter one for offhand. some shoot all from cross sticks. Your call. and you can change depending on feedback over time.
I'll give you the sizes of target here at Forsyth (Not the Quigley,but the monthly site)
300 yd diamond - 24" sides 34" point to point. painted black with 8 1/2" white center
350 yd buffalo - 35" long by 26" tall black with 8" white center
450 yd disc- 30" dia - 11" white center
450 yd diamond Same as 300 yd, with 10 in white center
488 yd door shape 40" tall by 24" wide 11" white center
525 yd "square" 36" wide 40" high 12" white center
650 Yd buffalo 77 " long 35" tall "cant read my writing on dia of white center prob abt 14"

we have 7 targets and draw for 4 and always shoot the 650 yd buf for 5 total. all off cross sticks.

depending on size of group, sit 6 shooter down in a line on the first target. when they are all ready, call off the name of the first shooter. he is not timed , but should shoot in a reasonable amount of time. some people shoot before the caller even has there name finished, some people fiddle fart around too long. then when he has shot and the spotter has had time to tell him where he has hit, call the next name etc.
Give each shooter one spotted sighter. then go for score. we have one sighter and 6 for score.

then when they are done, let the next group set up and do it again.

if you have lots of people, you can have people shooting at two targets at the same time. If you have 20, you can shoot two groups of 10 with 5 shooting at each target at a time.

We usually have 1 spotter for each group, but sometimes a person brings his wife etc and they spot too, so there is no hard fast rule on spotters, but they should be able to call for everyone if asked.

semtav
PostsCOLON 238

Post by semtav » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 pm

we have other gong matches too, for military rifle, 22 long range etc . with other targets , some set closer.

powderburnt
PostsCOLON 129
LocationCOLON AR

Post by powderburnt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 am

Thanks for the tutorial, most helpful and I believe I understand.
When I get a plan I will PM you and have you to critique it.
Appreciate the help,
HG

BUTTON_POST_REPLY