Shooting position in Creedmoore matches

XTR
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Shooting position in Creedmoore matches

Post by XTR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:10 am

I've never participated or seen a Creedmoore match. I see references to sticks and telescopic sights in the NRA rules and in posts here and there on the web.

What is the customary rule set for shooting 1000 yd Creedmoore matches? Does it vary much from club to club or shoot to shoot?
Are sticks typically allowed?
Do shooters sling up like in Palma?
Shooting Jackets ... I read in the rules that cloth jackets are allowed but that they should not provide any support. How is that interpreted? I've got a Creedmoore Sports cloth jacket, but it's nylon, and it has back a back stiffener, am I correct to assume that is not permissible?

Does Whittington do things differently?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Shooting position in Creedmoore matches

Post by Brent » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:41 am

People don't look so far down the list as this forum, so your question has gotten little attention.

Sticks are allowed by rule. There are no slings, and shooting jacket issues are a point of some contention. the Rules for BPTR which concerns Creedmoor matches that are NRA sanctions/approved can be found at
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/ ... p-book.pdf.

There are some variations from one place to the next but most of that variation is centered around whether the match is run by NRA rules or is not. If the latter, what goes is anyone's guess.

Here is a typical firing line (Lodi in this case). Photo is by a friend.

You can find more pictures at the location below, but some of them are large and are best views in a separate window.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/Lodi
I'm not from here, I just live here.

XTR
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Post by XTR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:03 pm

The pics are helpful. I'd read the rules but was a little unsure of a few things.

Keith
PostsCOLON 52
JoinedCOLON Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 am

Pulling up an old thread I know.
But interesting as we had a World Creedmoor Match here in Brisbane back in 2006. I was in it.
We had to use slings back to 800 yds if I remember then those that wanted to could use a wrist support.
I chose to shoot in the back or Supine position as was done in the old days.
No one shot off cross sticks. I thought that was gong shooting stuff.

Keith

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523

Post by Brent » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 am

Keith,
International rules are different than NRA BPTR rules. Wrist rests are allowed in both, but cross sticks are allowed only in NRA BPTR.

Not too many folks use wrist rests. Those that do claim they shoot better with them, but I have found the wrist rest, the attending monster glove, sling, and jacket to be very challenging to use, not to mention damn uncomfortable to wear in warm, never mind hot weather. I have to confess that I have not gotten that much experience with that gear so a large part of my issues with it may be me. However, the best long range shooter by a large margin is Dave Gullo, and I notice that he uses cross sticks whenever they are allowed.

Using cross sticks takes some skill and technique too, but they are hard to improve upon in my opinion. I think a lot of folks could pick up a couple more points if they were better at using them.

I have never seen anyone shoot the back position. With the right rifle it would be fun to try but stay with my sticks when I can.

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks Brent.
That clears that up for me.
Ernie Stallman from Badger and Dave Gullo were both there as well.
It was my first and only match so far but it did not go too bad.

Keith

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523

Post by Brent » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Keith, I can see why the stock drop is necessary in that sort of position. Actually, you look pretty stable, but if you had a high comb, I think your muzzle would be way too high. So, that makes sense.

Back in the days when Ernie was shooting, there was yet another international Creedmoor organization. Ernie started his own and it was quite successful for some time. The last time the international match was held in the USA was a just a few years ago at Lodi Wisconsin. Since then, Ernie has disappeared from the shooting scene and I even heard last weekend that he may not even be alive. I sure hope that is not true. What happened to that organization, I don't really know.

There will be an international Long Range Muzzleloader championship in Camp Butner North Carolina USA this fall. Then again in Australia in 2017 at some point and place (I fully intend to be there) and finally there will be a BPTR (mixed muzzleloader and BP Cartridge rifles) world match in Ottawa Canada in 2018 (or so the rumor mill goes).

Rules for each of them are slightly different but I think most will disallow cross sticks but wrist rests and slings will be the order of the day.

Brent

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am

I had not heard of the match here in 2017.
Any links to more info.
As it happens I have started building a ML target rifle so lets hope I live long enough.
Look forward to catching up when you come over.
Keith

dbm
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:59 am
LocationCOLON UK
CONTACTCOLON

Post by dbm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 am

An overview of the back (or supine) position illustrated with 19th century images and photographs of modern riflemen, on my web site.

David
David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range shooting and associated history

BUTTON_POST_REPLY