Maynard knockoffs

Rebel1972
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:53 pm

Maynard knockoffs

Post by Rebel1972 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:58 pm

I think a saavy gunsmith or machinist could make a passable replica of a maynard out of a h&r handi rifle . Any thoughts comments?

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Afirmative

Post by crossfireoops » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:12 am

..........Yup.

GTC 8)

Mike Gordon
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:58 am
LocationCOLON New Jersey -- USA

Maynard Knockoffs

Post by Mike Gordon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:15 pm

I too have often wondered why such guns as the Sharps 1874 or the Smith Carbine or the Spencer have been reproduced while the deadly simple and even more simply constructed Maynard have been ignored. I own a Maynard percussion Carbine and so am familiar with its workings. It has fewer parts that could probably be more easily made and would lend themselves very easily to investment casting. Moreover it is a very strong action with a massive lug on the bottom of the barrel breech area that is locked securely into the from when closed. The down side of the Maynard is its very poor extractor and the straight stock. The receiver's very long tangs also make changing the stock design impossible (which is why original cartridge Maynards often had the pistol grip attached to the lever.

In case your interested or are up to the project The Rifle Shoppe lists new made Maynard castings in its catalog including the receiver and a barrel monoblock.

Mike Gordon

N.C. Nash
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:04 am

Maynard Knockoffs

Post by N.C. Nash » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:16 am

Mike, can you provide an address or link for the Rifle Shoppe - I haven't heard of them before. Have you used any of their castings?

Do they list other Maynard parts as well? I'm looking for a 73 hammer.

N.C. Nash

Harry Eales
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:17 pm
LocationCOLON North Durham. England

Re: Maynard Knockoffs

Post by Harry Eales » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:39 am

N.C. Nash wroteCOLONMike, can you provide an address or link for the Rifle Shoppe - I haven't heard of them before. Have you used any of their castings?

Do they list other Maynard parts as well? I'm looking for a 73 hammer.

N.C. Nash
Hello N.C. Nash,

Have a look at this URL,

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/

Lots of goodies there.

Harry
Never kick a sleeping Lion in the balls, unless you have a foolproof way of dealing with his teeth.

Mike Gordon
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:58 am
LocationCOLON New Jersey -- USA

1873 parts

Post by Mike Gordon » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:45 pm

I think the Rifle Shoppe castings are only for the Second model of the percussion Maynard. There is a semi-custom version of the Model 1882 Maynard made by Romano. He does list a hammer for the Model 1882 which may fit the Model 1873. Take a look at his website at

http://www.romanorifle.com/

N.C. Nash
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:04 am

Maynard Knockoffs

Post by N.C. Nash » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:10 pm

Thank you very much for the info. After I posted last night I did a google search and found them. Have either of you dealt with the Rifle Shoppe? Wonder about the quality of castings and shrinkage.

Do you shoot your Maynards?

I shoot an 1882 .35-40 and an 1873 .40-70 quite a bit. That .35-40 surprises me every time we're on the range. Curious about loads and bullet molds you might be using.

N.C. Nash

Hatchet

Post by Hatchet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:56 pm

Those Spencer single shots are nice looking guns.

Harry Eales
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:17 pm
LocationCOLON North Durham. England

Re: Maynard Knockoffs

Post by Harry Eales » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:55 pm

N.C. Nash wroteCOLONThank you very much for the info. After I posted last night I did a google search and found them. Have either of you dealt with the Rifle Shoppe? Wonder about the quality of castings and shrinkage.

Do you shoot your Maynards?

N.C. Nash
Hello N.C.

I'm sorry but I haven't had any dealings with the Rifleshoppe so I can't comment.

For what it's worth the following URL may be of interest to people who want certain spare parts of many 18th-19thC British flint, percussion and early cartridge weapons. I have dealt with this company and it's products are excellent. See:-

http://www.blackleyandson.com/acatalog/

Sorry I can't be of more help. Shoot a Maynard? I've only ever seen two of them in nearly half a century of shooting on my side of the pond.

Harry
Never kick a sleeping Lion in the balls, unless you have a foolproof way of dealing with his teeth.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY