Maynard Carbines

George Babits
PostsCOLON 168
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm
LocationCOLON Salmon, Idaho

Maynard Carbines

Post by George Babits » Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 pm

One of the sweetest shooting carbines I've ever had the pleasure of shooting was the outside primed 50 Caliber Maynard. I was given one of these when I was in highschool back in the early 60's and shot it quite a bit. That one got away from me a long time ago and I've always regretted it. Last year I was able to find a decent one and it shoots every bit as well as I remembered. Is there anyone else out there shooting these neat little carbines?

George
Salmon, Idaho

Deadeye Bly
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Maynard Carbines

Post by Deadeye Bly » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am

George, I shoot in the N-SSA and the Maynard carbine is a favorite of lots of shooters there. They are quick to load and easy to find an accurate load for. They are simple to operate and very reliable. My eyes at age 65 won't let me see the front sight well enough to shoot the 2nd Mod carbine so I've gone to a 1st Model with a 26" barrel and tang peep sight. I've just started with it this year and my results are mixed. I'll work with it some more as I can see the front sight and the target at the same time with the tang sight.

Let me know if you ever need anything for yours. At the Nationals sutlers have cases and bullet molds and other items and I could look for whatever you need. I make replacement barrels and do repairs to keep Maynards in the game.

George Babits
PostsCOLON 168

Post by George Babits » Thu May 31, 2012 12:12 pm

My brother always goes to the N-SAA Nationals and was looking for brass for me. But I have 40 cases so was only wanting some if they were below $2.25 or so. He shoots a Smith in the carbine matches and someone at the shoot did a trigger job on it for him for a pretty reasonable price. That's something I need on my Maynard, and a couple of other carbines.

Regards,
George

Oregon Bill
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am
LocationCOLON Alamogordo, NM

Post by Oregon Bill » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 pm

George, I had one of these too. I am so very sorry I sold it. I have played with the Smith reproduction as well as with an original Merrill, and that elegantly simple Maynard was by far the easiest to shoot, and shoot well.

George Babits
PostsCOLON 168

Post by George Babits » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Yes, the Maynard is really simplicity. Neat thing is that they shoot very well and brass isn't too hard to find. You can even get a loading tool for them, although you don't really need one. The other thing is that they (or mine at least) seems to shoot very "clean." If I can ever get the trigger pull reduced it will proove to be an excellent "transition" carbine. There seem to be a lot of them around and many have excellent bores. Romano makes a replica for about 2X whan an original costs. He also makes replacement barrels as well. I've always used the Lyman 515139 bullet which is about 350 grains.

George

JohnAllen
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:21 am

Post by JohnAllen » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:17 pm

I have one myself. It is clean with just a little discoloring on the barrel.

Here is a pic
maynard.jpg
maynard.jpg (9.09 KiB) Viewed 5961 times

BUTTON_POST_REPLY