More hunting - Nebraska this time

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
Brent
PostsCOLON 1591
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

More hunting - Nebraska this time

Post by Brent » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 pm

Here it is the third quarter of the hunting season and next to nothing about hunting on this site? Do you guys live off all of that steel you shoot all summer long, or are you all vegetarians? :lol: :lol:

Well, I was hunting Sat-Monday in the Pine Ridge of Nebraska with the same guy that hunted with in Africa (viewtopic.php?t=753&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 and a couple other U. Nebraska-Lincoln faculty and some grad students. I was primarily interested in a mulie deer buck, though a really good whitetail would have been okay (and legal) if it had worked out that way.

After two days of cold and really windy weather (even by Nebraska standards) I had seen only a few does, although the others in camp had killed a bunch of does and few small bucks (all whitetails plus one mulie doe and one mulie buck). So, I was a bit discouraged. On Sunday evening, however, I was moving along an edge and working towards a place where I thought it would be nice to sit for the last minutes of light when four shots rang out really close by. They were well spaced shots and I then heard an ATV. Someone had slipped on to the ranch from the adjoining national forest land and was shooting at something close to where I was headed.

In a few minutes, two mulie does popped up on the ridge I was on and looked nervously over their shoulders before trotting off into the ravine on the other side. A moment later, a mulie buck pops up from the same place and also looks back to where he had come from. Stupidly, I reached for my binocs instead of my rifle. I saw enough horns in a moment to know that I would take him - although he was not huge by any means. But that brief check was too much and the buck disappeared down the ridge we were on before I could get the rifle up.

The next morning, I hunted that same area but saw nothing that was legal although I did see, out of the corner of my eye, what may have been two bighorn ewes streaking by. So, that afternoon, I thought I would work over to the east fence and stalk along some ravine edges. I did this for a while and came to a set of scrapes strung out for about 1/3 mile. I decided to sit there for a few hours as it was sort of open but with enough trees around that a buck might feel safe there during the day. I was pretty sure that this would be a whitetail as I have never heard that mulies make scrapes. Indeed, I sat for less than a minute and looking to my right, spotted a really large wide whitetail buck with lots of mass and width but not a whole lot of height sneaking away with his tail tucked off up the ditch. I couldn't reach him though he was close enough. I don't shoot moving deer either.

I figured my sitting spot was probably no good now, so I moved off up ditch in the direction that he disappeared and found a tree to crawl under that gave me a good view of the ridge to the south. With the south wind blowing 30+ up on the table lands above that ridge, the whitetails were prone to bedding in the pines on the north side and I had a good view of that. Sure enough in about 15 minutes I saw a doe, and than two more. I watched them for a while and suddenly, there was the big guy. Right in the middle of them about 180 yds out. He did not seem really interested in the does however and w/o giving me a good clear shot, he wandered off up the ridge to the east.

Not too long after, a small 2x3 whitetail showed up and harassed a doe or two, but he did not draw out the big guy for me. I could have waited until dark for him to come back. He probably did.

So, with just an hour of light and my whole mulie hunting season left, I picked up and headed back to where the mulie buck was the night before. I set up on the ridge where the buck had disappeared. I figured that hunters in the National Forest might impress on him to take his escape route again. Well, it did not take too long before a pair of does, and then a third popped up on the ridge about 240 yds out. They were legal targets as I had a doe tag, but even in the last few minutes of hunting I decided to hold out as they slowly worked down the ridge trail right towards me.

For some reason, I decided I needed to rehearse any plan to make a shot by getting my rifle lined up on the does. Good thing I did, because once they were 100 yds out, I had no cover to speak of, just leaning against a tree while sitting on a log. And suddenly, two more deer pop up, and the one in the rear is acting like a buck though I can't reach for my glasses with the does almost on top of me. The buck is about 240 yds out when first seen, but after some herding the doe around on the other side of the ridge, the two of them start down the trail towards me nose to tail. By that time, I had the first three does all over me at 20-40 yds. They had no clue I was there, but I didn't have any margins for errors in movement either. So, I kept the crosswires on the doe that was leading the buck and when she turned off at 80 yds, the buck was just standing there with his head hanging low and pointing straight at me. About that time the Sharps went off and the buck collapsed on the spot. The bullet went through his jaw, his neck, 5 ribs, the top of his right lung, and out his back just about even with his rear legs. I think his posterior vena cavae vein must have been split by the bullet or bone fragments as he bled profusely internally.

In any event, the buck, while a spindly 3x3 (typical for NE mulies I think), is still a fine buck to me. I like the symmetry and elegance of the rack and I especially enjoyed hunting for him as it worked just as I had planned.

The attached picture does not look real good as it was pretty dark by the time Mark took it - only about 15 mintues after I shot it though.

I hope a few more of you get out there with your rifles and make a little meat now and again. I, for one, would love to hear about your adventures.

Brent

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 pm

Brent glad you had a good hunt.
I've shot 2 elk with my 405,in years past, but used smokeless. I haven't shot anything this fall, yet, and if I do it'll likely be with some smokeless wonder.
My wife shot a nice bull elk this fall coming out of the alfalfa field with her blr 308 , but again that don't quite qualify for posting here. :oops:

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Hunt?

Post by crossfireoops » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:30 pm

Sorry.....white powder, and an old photo....and an "inadequate caliber"

would I try this stunt with my built on site Sharps..?..YUP.

You are on track askin' about why more guys aren't makin' meat with BP..
Great question

GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

thing is...

Post by crossfireoops » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Thing is....The moose that I regularly knocked down with my '71 /84, and the Ballard.....weren't about bein' in season,....if'n you follow my drift....
more about havin' sumpin' to EAT.

Different times, in a place far away......an age we will not see again, I might add.

GTC 8)

Oregon Bill
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am
LocationCOLON Alamogordo, NM

Post by Oregon Bill » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:10 pm

Brent: Great post, and a well-earned buck. Where were you in relation to Chadron?
Crossfire: Tell me more about the 71/84, as I just acquired a Mauser M71 single-shot in 11mm that I may take to Africa if my Sharps isn't ready in time.
Bill

Brent
PostsCOLON 1591
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:01 pm

We were about 15 miles south and a couple three miles east. The north side of the ranch backs up to the National Forest.

Brent

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:09 pm
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Yep, looks like you got it done the right way. Congrats. :D

13 of the last 15 animals I have shot with black powder and home cast bullets. I don't shoot much steel and never have put a photo of a steel target on the wall. :wink:
Gus

Silver51
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:25 pm
LocationCOLON South Dakota

Post by Silver51 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Brent: Any way that you can resize that picture? To read your story I need to continuously scroll back and forth across the screen. Get it down in the neighborhood of 600 pixels and it will be alot easier to deal with.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

supersize

Post by crossfireoops » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:22 am

The "supersize thing"

................wasn't Brent.....'twas me. :oops:

GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

oops

Post by crossfireoops » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:24 am

No way....it was BRENT.... :shock:

I suggest a full review of this matter........the next time anybody cares.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:

GTC 8)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY