Scopes and BPCR

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
Smokepole
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:37 am
LocationCOLON Elyria, OH

Scopes and BPCR

Post by Smokepole » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:17 pm

I plan to use my Sharps 40-65 for elk hunting next year. But as I have gotten older I find the ol'eyes are not what they used to be. I am considering putting a scope on my Sharps.

I plan to hunt in Montana near Elk Pass. I have seen and read articles on the MVA and Leatherwood telescopes. But in each case their tests were completed at the range where lighting could be optimal. In the low light of dusk/dawn I am concerned with a telescopic sight 6X with a ¾" tube.

I am looking for something in the 2x-7x variable range with an objective lense of about 30-33 mm or or fixed 2.5x with an objective of about 25-30 mm.

Has anybody mounted a newer scope (ie Leupold Scout telescope) to their rifle for hunting situations? I am not a competitin shooter nor do I worry about being PC at this time.

I am looking for some assistance with sighting my target.

Sincerely
Smokepole
If you must smoke.......make it black powder

ND Sharpshooter
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:37 pm
LocationCOLON Devils Lake, ND

Post by ND Sharpshooter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:01 am

Smokepole,

Dixie Gun Works sells a mount that lets you put a regular 1 inch scope on your rifle. The nice part is that you do not need to modify your rifle and can easily remove the set up when you're done hunting. It's made for 15/16 as well as 1 inch barrels. Best part is it costs only $40.00. I've installed the base just to see how it fits but have not yet put a scope on it. Why? It's hunting season here in ND. So many critters to hunt and so little time (4 months)!!!

If you decide to get one, I'd be interested in hearing how it works for you. After the first of the year I'll be putting mine back on and trying it out. Was too late to get it done this year.
"Never said I didn't know how to use one."

Digital Dan
PostsCOLON 137
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 pm
LocationCOLON Yankeetown, The Windy State

Post by Digital Dan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:28 pm

Hey Smokie, whazzup? :lol:
"Not that the story need be long, but it will take a long while to make it short." Henry David Thoreau

BUTTON_POST_REPLY