Which front sight insert for hunting and other non-circular

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
andy mayer
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Which front sight insert for hunting and other non-circular

Post by andy mayer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Hey Everyone,

Right now I'm shooting the smallest circle in the cross hairs insert that came in my Lee Shaver card and I like it, the cirle in a circle. I'm shooting iron E-type silhouette targets with the insert and still prefer it. I'm just wondering if the square post insert would be better for hunting? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

George Babits
PostsCOLON 166
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm
LocationCOLON Salmon, Idaho

Re: Which front sight insert for hunting and other non-circular

Post by George Babits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:41 pm

In my opinion, the square post would be the way to go for hunting, at least in preference to any sort of appature front sight. Having said that, you would be a lot better off to pull the hooded front sight off for hunting and replace it with an old fashioned blade, especially if you are hunting in timber. How many 30-30 carbines have you see that still had the front sight hood. There's a reason they all got tossed. I once took my 22 lowall to the woods after grouse. Had a Marbles peep on the tang and Lyman 17A front with post. Might as well have stayed home as I couldn't see the front sight post at all. Lesson learned. Next time out I used my #2 rolling block 22 with its old blade front sight - -much better. My hunting Sharps has a brass blade front sight and non-vernier tang sight. Keep things simple and you should come home with more meat!

George
Salmon, Idaho

BUTTON_POST_REPLY