.45-70 bullet sugestion

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
JollyWhiteGiant
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:28 pm

.45-70 bullet sugestion

Post by JollyWhiteGiant » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:13 am

Looking for a general use bullet for my .45-70 Hi-Wall hunter. I don't cast my own bullets quite yet. Currently I am using machine cast 405 gr. FP bullets. I am getting decent accuracy out of them (about 2" @ 100 yards). What I am wondering is if there is a better bullet that is suitable for hunting as well as target shooting at longer ranges? Or should I keep these seprate? So far I am only shooting SP out of it (I know shame on me) stil contemplating if I want to start playing with BP or not. Also, what typ eof alloy/hardness are you using for your hunting bullets?

Dan Cash
PostsCOLON 20
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:29 pm
LocationCOLON Sentinel Butte, North Dakota

Post by Dan Cash » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 pm

For hunting and target, I cast 30:1 = soft. I use a 450 and a 350 grain flat point bullet in .45-70 with 70gr FF Goex in a Marlin 95 for hunting. Works well out to 200 which is my skill limit.

For target I use a 500gr Lyman spitzer or a Hock 550gr bullet. Both work better than I do out to 1000. These also get 70gr FF Goex and a launch from a Shiloh Sharps.

I think the 400-450 grain bullets in .45 are a bit light for 500 and beyond. Just my opinion.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Jolly, the Lyman Postell in either 1:20 or 1:30 alloy will provide an excellent bullet out to 1000 yds, plus do the job as a hunting bullet.

IMHO, the best store bought bullets are from Sagebrush ... https://www.sageoutfitters.com/cgi-bin/ ... &key=44502

BillDan
PostsCOLON 84
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:13 pm
LocationCOLON Tennessee

Post by BillDan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:44 am

My buddy is using a Lyman 457643, which casts about 405gns from his mold. Although he's shooting a Marlin, the impessive thing is the bullets ability to punch a good wound channel completely thru a deer, due to it's flat point. They've bled out very fast and haven't had to track one more than 100 yds or so. It's true that any bullet put in the right spot will put 'em down, but I had a bad experience with a round nose cast bullet. Put a 311284, a 220 gn round nose bullet thru a deer at less than 100 yrds. Had a good blood trail for maybe 50 yds, then it completely dried up. Never did recover it. They say the wound channel wil close up completely with a pointed or round nose non-expanding bullet. Now it may be completely different with a 30-1 bullet. I was using #2 alloy, which is about as hard as woodpecker lips in comparison.

SHOOTINGSTIX
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:53 pm

BULLET SUGJESTIONS

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Jolly:
I have tryed alot of bullets threw my browning highwall. After testing and trying differnt bullet wt. I went with a 520gr gov bullet behind 70 gr of goax cartridge win case and CCI bench rest primers shoots great in differnt temps and conditions and it tends to plow a nice path. check the twist in your rifle to see what it likes

STIX

NickSS
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: .45-70 bullet sugestion

Post by NickSS » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:36 pm

I use two bullets for hunting with the 45-70 and cast both with 30-1 alloy. One the the RCBS 325 gr flat nose I use it for deer and smaller animals. And the Lyman 405 gr flat point plain base bullet for elk and larger animals. I have also used the 500 gr Lyman 457125 bullet but found it has great penetration but does not make as good a blood trail as a flat point. I want to get a NEI mold with a wide flat point of about 450 gr for larger animals but to day have not bought one. For target I use a Paul Jones custom mold that casts what he calls a creedmore bullet of 550 gr. I have found that with black powder soft bullets with flat noses make excellent hunting bullets.

fa38
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:03 pm
LocationCOLON Wisconsin

Post by fa38 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:43 am

A bullet with the biggest flat nose you can find, 400 grains or more.

Uglysauce
PostsCOLON 67
JoinedCOLON Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Post by Uglysauce » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:07 pm

For sure keep the bullets soft for hunting. I too had the experience of shooting a deer with a hard cast bullet, hit it a little high and back and it went through without doing much damage. I did recover the deer, but I never would have dreamed that a deer could bleed that much, and go so far before it died. This was with a flat point bullet too. I think the flat point works as it should if the lead is soft enough, otherwise it's not that much better than a round nose.

For hunting (with my .45-70 Springfield) I find that, just due to the moulds I happen to have, that something in the 400 grain weight also allows me to get the full 70 grains of powder in. Can't seem to get a full 70 grains under a 500 grain bullet. For target work that does not seem to matter, but for hunting I like to have all the power I can get in case I should run into Grizz, as I hunt in Grizz country.

Just my opinion, but I would not even consider smokeless powder. Smokeless powder in great big cases designed for black powder, "just ain't right". Try Swiss, it burns clean and cleans up easy.

UglySauce

BUTTON_POST_REPLY