What?

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

What?

Post by g.pennell » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 am

No one here hunts with their BPCR's? C'mon, Brent, where are ya?

While I haven't hunted with mine (yet), I have hunted exclusively with single shot rifles and pistols for a number of years. I'm currently re-stocking a light-barreled Browning 1885 in .45-70 to a more "hunter friendly" configuration (shotgun buttstock, recoil pad) with the appropriate comb height for iron sights...sort of a modified Traditional Hunter pattern. I have a Lyman globe front on it (for now) and a Marble's tang sight. Looking forward to chasing Kentucky whitetails with it next season.

Greg
Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule!

Rick Engman
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:25 pm
LocationCOLON Austria

Hunting

Post by Rick Engman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:27 am

I Hunt regularly here in Austria with my Pedersoli 45-120 LR Rifle, Unfortunately the Hunting Regulations dont allow the use of BP loads, :( so I Hunt with Smokeless Powder and Jacketed Bullets. I shoot a wide variety of Game with the 45-120, Red Deer, Roe Deer, Fallow Deer, and Wild Hogs. You just need to select the approprate Bullet weight / Powder Charge combination. I wouldnt use anything else but my Sharps. I even made Scope Mounts for my 2.5x10x56 Schmidt and Bender with Light Point( we Hunt Wild Boar mostly at night).
I still shoot BP and Diopter when it's for fun. :D
Rick

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:10 am

Hey Rick, good to hear from you. One of my biggest regrets is that I never tried to go hunting for red deer or boar while I was stationed in Bavaria in the mid-1980's, with the U.S. Army. I saw quite a bit of game when we were out on exercises, but somehow never found the time to find a club and go through all the requisite training to get a hunting license.

Now that I'm retiring from the Army, it's doubtful if I'll ever have another opportunity. Too bad, it certainly is some beautiful country.

Greg

Steve Fuller
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:22 am

Post by Steve Fuller » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:16 pm

I hunted with sharps 45/70 this year using cast 416 gr. bullet and BP substitute. Shot a nice Mulie buck in Ne. and three white tails here in Michigan with it. Once you tried black you never go back!!!

Voyageur
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:40 pm
LocationCOLON Rocky Mountains

Post by Voyageur » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:05 pm

I hunt with a .40-65 Win Martini and a .54 caliber paper Sharps. I've got a few other single shots but I haven't hunted much with them. I've got a tendency to hunt with straight muzzle loaders (traditional) as well.

Like most of you, I've let a few single shots get a way from me that I've hunted with... .45-70, .45-90, .50-90, etc. All hunts done with cast bullets, cartridge grade and duplex. Home made lube and Federal BR primers. 3 bullet retrieved all the rest... kwapinggg... off into the woods.

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:53 am

I and a hunting partner still hunt with our BPCR here in Missouri, mostly during the deer season. Loaded with a lead bullet of my design, my 45/90 has stopped many whitetail deer in their tracks. I have also taken a few Montana antelope with the same rifles and the open sights. Much fun,

Rick Engman
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON Austria

Post by Rick Engman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:55 am

Hey Greg,
Where were you stationed in Bayern? I spent a few years there myself. The Hunting was good there in the 80's, big Racks (12-16 pointers), and 8 inch Boars Teeth were common, nowadays you have to have a lot of luck to bag a Trophy Hirsch. Overhunting and bad Game Management, now all of the Germans come to us in Austria and to Hungary to shoot any Trophy sized Game.

Rick

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:36 am

Rick, I was stationed for three years in Schwienfurt, from 1985-88. With all the normal training exercises at Wildflecken, Hoenfels, Bad Toelz, etc. I was very fond of the part of the state near, and just north of Nuremberg called the Schweitzer Wald...beautiful country. This was of course in the years before the "Wall" came down, and I'm wondering if that ultimately caused the problems of which you speak. Hopefully Austria will continue to properly manage their resources.

Greg

Rick Engman
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON Austria

Post by Rick Engman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:11 am

Greg,
Well well we certanly chewed some of the same dirt, I was stationed at Tolz from 83-88. Yep, I'm a transplanted Georgia Boy, I liked it so much that when I got out I stayed on this side of the Pond.
Rick

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:26 am

Rick, sure is a small world! I spent two weeks or so at that little "day camp" that 7th Group used to run in Bad Tolz...PCT?...in the spring of '86. Got to see a lot of that countryside up close and personal...beautiful place.

Greg

Rick Engman
PostsCOLON 23
LocationCOLON Austria

Sharps drops another one

Post by Rick Engman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:59 am

I went Boar Hunting last night and bagged a good one, The Boar dressed out at at 135kg, (almost 300lbs) with 21cm (9 inch) tusks. It was a beautiful night. It was 11:30 pm, the Moon was a little less than full, fresh Snowfall, 8 deg. You could see perfectly. I heard him rummaging in the woods for about half an hour, then he came out into the open field about 120 yards to my Right. I swung arround in the stand, laid the Scope on him, eased the Hammer back and.....BOOM. He didn't run 10 feet before he fell.
I'll tell you what, there is nothing in the world as wonderful as the Thunder of a 45-120 rolling across the valley on a clear, crisp Winters night (Except maybe the Sausage I'll be making tonight). It was Heaven on Earth.
Rick

Brent
PostsCOLON 1591
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: What?

Post by Brent » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:35 am

g.pennell wroteCOLONNo one here hunts with their BPCR's? C'mon, Brent, where are ya?
Greg
I've been on the Red Neck Riviera chasing mice believe it or not.

But yup, I hunt with mine. A doe fell to my .38-55 highwall with a paper patched bullet and bp. This back in November in Nebraska. Might be able to squeeze in one more in Iowa next weekend.

I did take a small deer with my underhammer muzzleloader - relevant here only because it uses the exact same paper patched bullets and 100 grs of Swiss 1.5 that I use in my .45-100 Sharps. It is a little bit of overkill however.

Brent

BUTTON_POST_REPLY