First shot with a Black Powder Cartridge rifle

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
Manni
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:57 am
LocationCOLON Germany, Bayern

First shot with a Black Powder Cartridge rifle

Post by Manni » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:02 pm

Hello there,
I would like to take one of my BPCR´s hunting. Problem is, with every gun the first one or sometimes two shots go high. How do you handle this? Simply aim low? It´s not practicable to fire one or two shots where I hunt to fowl the barrel cause I will alarm every roe then. Also I don´t feel good shooting the rifle at the range and leave it uncleaned for a longer period.
Thanks for any advice.
Manni

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Manni, what is the condition of your bore on those first shots? My guess is that it is oiled. Run two dry, clean, flannel patches up and down your bore several times. THEN load for the first shot and see what happens. If you must oil it in some way, use the lightest oil possible. Hoppe's #9 solvent for example. Even WD40. But better, just a clean dry bore.

If that does not work then check the clearance between the back of the forearm and the front of the receiver. Should be a 1-2 thousands of an inch of space (thickness of paper or so).

Brent

deerhuntsheatmeup
PostsCOLON 110
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 am

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Manny,

I used to have the same problem you have, but, I changed my way of practicing. In other words...

In preparation for a hunting shot, set your sights up for the first shot, not the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th and so on........make the first one count, and on a continuing basis practice your first shot, and make it count. In hunting, we don't really worry about a long string of shots. Just do as Brent suggested, dry the barrel very dry and clean, and practice your first shot.

Best, David B

13Echo
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:00 pm
LocationCOLON Monroe, Louisiana

Post by 13Echo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Col Townsend Whelen said a rifle should be sighted for the first shot out of a cold clean barrel. He called it the "sniper's zero".

The advice you've been given is good. You might also try a patch with a your bullet lube down the bore before the first shot and see if that brings the first and later shots closer together.

Jerry Liles

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Manni, you might want to consider 'seasoning' your bore with Thompson's T1000 Bore Butter before the hunt.

I put a very light coating on a patch after every cleaning not using petroleum based cleaners. Have found that the 1st 'fouling' shot is usually not far off the remaining group shots

From T/C's Website FAQ's
Do I have to clean my rifle immediately after firing it?
Only if you are using a petroleum based lubricant, which as previously stated, will create a tar like fouling capable of ruining the bore of your rifle if left unchecked by cleaning. If you are using T/C's Bore Butter, immediate cleaning of the rifle is not necessary. You can discharge the rifle during deer season, for example, and load up again without having to worry about cleaning the rifle that evening. However, that does not relieve you of your obligations to clean your rifle before putting it away, or after extended shooting. It's every shooters responsibility to clean their rifle properly, and maintain it in A-1 condition.

Manni
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:57 am
LocationCOLON Germany, Bayern

Post by Manni » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:00 pm

Thank you guys for your answers. It is true, I had my barrels oiled with Ballistol oil (what else, I am from Germany), which I tried to remove with a dry patch. This couldn´t cure the problem. Even when wipe the barrels with a moist patch after several shots, the first shot goes high with my replica rifles. I have an original, a rolling block, which only seems to dislike the oily barrel. Cleaned after a string of shots and not oiled it seems to shoot how it should. Maybe the bore butter helps. Will try to get some.
Again, thank you very much for your help and greetings from Germany.
Manni

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:57 pm

Manni,
Look for some automatic transmission fluid for oiling your bore. It wipes out well if you run a few patches before your first shots or before going out to hunt.

Brent

BUTTON_POST_REPLY