As promised

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
CommandoBob
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:36 pm
LocationCOLON Merkel Texas
CONTACTCOLON

As promised

Post by CommandoBob » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 am

Bob :)

MLR
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Okla, U.S.A.

Post by MLR » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 am

Congrats guy. How was the hunt? Tell us a bit about it.

Michael

CommandoBob
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:36 pm
LocationCOLON Merkel Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by CommandoBob » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 am

MLR wroteCOLONCongrats guy. How was the hunt? Tell us a bit about it.

Michael

Ok, here we go.

I arrived at the Buffalo Mountain hunts at around 0800. I was met by Rick Worley, the hunt coordinator and guide. He started by showing me some pics of recent hunts, then moved on to a new set of pics. These pics were a dozen of their horses that had been attacked by the big bull bison on the ranch, and they weren't pretty. On one occassion, a ranch hand was taking a horse for a ride around the ranch to get it some exercise. A 2000 pound bull broke from the brush and gave chase, and caught the horse at a FULL GALLUP. It had flipped the horse and rider! The rider had balled up on the ground and was apparently pushed around a few times by the big bull, then it gave chase again after the horse. The point he was trying tomake was that they arent the big gentle easy hunting creatures everyone thinks they are; they're a truly wild animal, and they have the weight and attitude to back themselves up.

So, we found a good set of track after driving the ranch for an hour and set off on foot. I admit, after seeing the pics of the mauled horses, I was a little nervous, and was starting to wish I had brought my 12 gauge coach gun and slung it over my shoulder while I hunted with the 45-70.

We tracked them down into a little clearing, and I was picking out a young bull, when one came throught he brush at about 30 yards. It was quartering away from me and hadnt seen me yet, so I leveled off and squeezed the trigger, anticipating that the 405 grain bullet would drop the Big Shaggy; it didnt. Directly after the shot the bull winced slightly like it had been bitten by a horsefly, then looked straight at me. I reloaded real quick, just in case it had other ideas, but it turned away and sauntered of into some scrub cedar as I stood in shock. :shock:

We waited for about 20 minutes before tracking Big Shaggy. After only about 50 yards of walking we founds gobs of bright red blood. 10 yards later found us in a small clearing, with my quarry dead on the ground; shot through both lungs.

After a few handshakes and some pics, Rick went up where he could get some cell phone reception and called for a tractor. During this time, I knelt at the bulls head, and pulled out a cigarette. I riped it apart, getting a small handful of tobacco, and sprinkled it in front of its nose, thanking the Great animal for allowing me to set its spirit free (Ok, call me hokey, go ahead) and promised to use its body wisely. After that I walked up to the road and was waiting for the tractor. I walked a little farther up the hil, and was thinking to myself "I'll need to scrape this hide real good so it'll tan right" when I heard an inner voice say "Look down". I did and found this at my feet

Looks like I got a good scraper now for the hide

It definitely wasnt a "Canned Hunt" like some folks try to say it is. It was a real stalk against a real wild animal that has the ability to grind a man into a pulp and enjoy it.

Well that's the hunt in a nutshell. If anyone is ever up this way wanting to hunt, drop me a PM and I'll set you up with contact info for the ranch

thanks for letting me share this great event with you all

Bob :)

Gene
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:58 pm
LocationCOLON NC

Post by Gene » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Bob,

Thanks for sharing the story. Ya done good.

Gene

CallaoJoe
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:00 pm
LocationCOLON Missouri

Post by CallaoJoe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 am

Sounds like you had a great hunt, and I wouldn't worry about make'n any excuses about it being a real hunt just to appease any tree huggers that are offended... The heck with them.

Looks like the freezer will be full with some nice meat. :D
When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms
with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Steven Wright

Oregon Bill
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am
LocationCOLON Alamogordo, NM

Post by Oregon Bill » Thu May 31, 2007 8:06 am

Cmdr. Bob: I am so sorry it took me so long to find your post on teh result of your hunt. I'm glad it ended right for you. What an experience! I don't think it is ever hokey to give thanks to the animal for its life or to promise to use the gift wisely. For some reason I can't see your photos, but can imagine ...
Bill

BUTTON_POST_REPLY