Deer Hunting in Wyoming

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
Hank
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:45 am
LocationCOLON Maine

Deer Hunting in Wyoming

Post by Hank » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:53 pm

I've got 10 days to get an application in and I don't know where to start. My buddy and I spent a week in Wyo on a cattle round up a couple years ago and now we want to take our antique high walls and shoot somethin' besides targets. We don't need to shoot elk. My buddy's never shot anything and I've only put a dozen whitetail in the freezer over the last forty years. (Many rabbits,partridge,ducks,geese and tuna though.) We rode in the Pinedale area when we were moving cattle. It was the first day of mule deer season, on one of the drives, and we saw a guy shoot a nice one. We were in Bon Durant(spelling?). Are there better, more productive places? There were alot of ATVs up in the mountains there. Gimme a horse.
I'll be using an original plain sporter in 40-65("original #4, 30") that by then will be a 40-65 with a 2 1/2" case and 70+ grains of FFg.(Got a lot of shooting to do before Sept.) He'll have an original plain sporter with a (yikes!) 34", #5 barrel in 45-70. I used it for hunting one season here before I sold it to him. Most of the time, in the woods, the butt was on my toe, resting.
The best part of the whole deal will be the horses. I live for'em. Got three and get on 'em every day it isn't a blizzard.
My question: Can any of you gentlemen recommend a good outfitter for mule deer and/ or an area that we might get drawn in. I spent the better part of this afternoon learning about "special" applications,etc. I feel I should first find an outfitter with an opening,AND HORSES, and then apply for that area.
I also am considering applying for an antlerless permit. I'm not a trophy hunter.( Mostly because I walk around too much and the only deer I see are the dumb, little ones. Best eatin' though.) In other words, we're going for the fun, riding,CHOW, and maybe get some poor little muley on ice. Of course if we came back with a wall hanger that'd be cool.
Any advice on a good outfitter would be welcome.

Thanks,
Hank
I'm gonna reload this 44 Henry rimfire if it's the last thing I do.

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:54 am

Hank,

It doesn't look like you're getting many bites on your question re: Wyoming deer hunting.

You might try contacting Mr. Steve Garbe in Cody, Wyoming. He is the editor of the BPC News, and I think he is a former big game guide. You might reach him easily on the Wyoming Schuetzen Union website. Additionally, you might contact Mr. Kenny Wasserberger in Gillette, Wy. He is a rancher and also works in the oil fields in eastern Wyoming. Probably can contact him fairly easily by posting a note on the Shiloh rifle forum.

Both of these gentlemen are pro model BPC riflemen and either of them could likely steer you into a good contact to help you get your BPC rifle hunt plans off of square 1.

Regards

Hank
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Maine

Post by Hank » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for that Ironramrod. Sound like good contacts and a place to start. I’m too late for this year, which is probably just as well. I haven’t been able to practice for a few weeks and won’t be able to for a number of weeks to come. I have a huge, hard knot on my right jaw that won’t let me snuggle up to a rifle stock. The result of a recent equine event that was precipitated, apparently, by too much of a certain amber liquid which initiated a mental complacency that allowed a portion of my facial anatomy to come into contact with a shod hoof. (The wife says I’m too old to get into trouble like this. I say balderdash and odd bodkins.)
I AM reloading, though, so I’ll have plenty to practice with. The gun I’ll take to Wyoming weighs about 12 lbs. and I’ve found that it’s really too heavy for carrying all day hunting deer, here in Maine. I took off the Lyman #1 tang sight and put on an original Winchester mid range vernier. I needed a more adjustable, repeatable sight for longer distances. It’ll be fine for long shots out West. I wouldn’t use it here because the disc blocks the field of view too much for close in whitetail hunting. I’ll use my 45-70 with open sights or the #1 Lyman for hunting here. It weighs less than 9 lbs. The difference between the #4 and #3 barrel is huge.
Thanks again for the leads.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1565
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm

Hank the drawin results will be out here shortly , Keep an eye on the game and fish web site for available licenses. If there's anything there that strikes your fancy let me know and I'll give you as much info about the area/areas as I can , or maybe even be able to give you names to contact.

Hank
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Maine

Post by Hank » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:34 am

Thanks Ranch. I appreciate that. I'll keep an eye out for what's left and where. Maybe this'll work yet.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY