Ultra traditional bison butchery

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Ultra traditional bison butchery

Post by Brent » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:12 am

Guys, some of you may not know that I'm and academic type and as a result, I'm constantly rearing grad students. Yes, this is relevant, hang on.

One of my more recent students is a guy that is interested in the ecology of a very unique critter - namely the indians that populated 9-10,000 yr ago. These aren't the plains indians that buffalo hunters knew. They are much much older and they specialized on bison hunting.

So, one of the things Erik wants to do is to obtain some data on bison butchery - how long it takes to tear down specific elements of the carcass etc using traditional tools of the time of course - Rocks. He was arranging to simply buy a few bison from a butcher and have at it (he has done this sort of thing before), but I suggested that maybe - just maybe someone here might be planning on hunting a buff and perhaps we could arrange to butcher your's for you. The down side to this is that I don't really know how your steaks might turn out so far as shape and thickness, but what Erik is really after is getting numbers on bone disarticulation and marrow extraction. So, the bulk of the meat really isn't that important.

I don't have all the details here about what he really needs to do, but down the road a bit, if you are thinking about doing some buffalo killing in Nebraska, the Dakotas, or E. Wyoming, maybe we could set something up. I'm not quite sure we could fix this up as a tax write-off donation to a public university, but if you have some creative accountants on hand, one never knows. Better than giving it to the football team.

Brent

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:59 am

Brent,

I'm not planing a Buffalo hunt anytime soon and if I were, you could have at what you propose. If you wouldn't mind though, could you give us a short synopsis of the results, because now my curosity is aroused, after the butchering.

Kelley O.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:05 am

Kelley, I'd be happy to. This is not part of Eric's main gig, but a side project for him. He wants to deterimine if it is easier to remove marrow from small bones like toe bones while the limbs are still articulated or after disarticulating each bone.

In the meantime, his real interest is in developing a map of carrying capacities for bison 9000 ybp for the entire central plains and then using that to predict human movement and abundances after applying optimal foraging models. Eventually, those results will be compared to the abundance and distributions of known anthropological sites where human activity in that time period is known to have taken place and to predict places where searching for signs of humans reveal areas that have been overlooked. 'tis amibitious but that's what a PhD is all about.

Brent

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41 am

Brent,

Cool.

Kelley O.

joebob
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:28 pm

buffalo butchery

Post by joebob » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Some of the Native American tribes in the plains states have their own herds and hold annual hunts. Maybe you can go there. They may not let you do much as it's as much spiritual for them as it is historical. Can't hurt to ask.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY