Muzzle loading breech loader?

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
Hank
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:45 am
LocationCOLON Maine

Muzzle loading breech loader?

Post by Hank » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:22 am

Sittin' here by the wood stove lookin' out at six degrees with a 30+ knot wind. The horses are goin' through hay like there's no tomorrow. There's over 400 acres, behind my 35, that's shotgun, muzzle loader and rimfire only during deer rifle season. A thought has occurred to me. The Maine law just says muzzleloader when referring to hunting with muzzle loaders. After reading the threads on muzzle loading those target breech loaders I figure if I load up a few 40-65 cases,full, and press in a wad and take a few lubed bullets and a ram rod, I'd be legal. Chamber the case in the old high-wall and muzzle load the bullet down onto it. I'll build a forearm that accepts the rod. If that's all I've got with me in the woods I reckon I'm good to go.
Thoughts on a frozen January morning.
I'm gonna reload this 44 Henry rimfire if it's the last thing I do.

Sidewinder
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Colorado

Post by Sidewinder » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 am

I bet them jails are warm in Maine but whos going to feed the horses? You'd better read the game rules real close then talk to a game officer. Out here we can't even use a precussion Sharps.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.

Hank
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:45 am
LocationCOLON Maine

Post by Hank » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Yeah, I talk big but I'd probably run it by the warden first. I hate giving anybody a reason to spoil my day. And the wife will feed the horses now and then but not long term.
While shovelling stalls this morning, I DID come up with a false muzzle idea(probably already been done for sure) where I don't have to drill those little holes in the end. I'd make it a slip fit over the whole outside of the muzzle. Can't hurt it. My high walls haven't had any finish on 'em for a hundred years.
I have to find a tenon from a lever gun with a mag tube that'll fit the forearm dovetail, then I can make a forearm with a hole for the rod. I wouldn't cut any more dovetail mortises up front, I'd just make a band for the ferrules.
The whole thing is startin' to sound like it'd take longer to reload than with a real muzzle loader....
I'm gonna reload this 44 Henry rimfire if it's the last thing I do.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY