My deer gun for the coming season

Here is the spot to ask and learn about hunting with our BPCR rifles.
pacecars
PostsCOLON 86
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 pm

My deer gun for the coming season

Post by pacecars » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:21 am

Shiloh Sharps Saddle Rifle with a 26 inch barrel in .40-50 SBN with a Leatherwood 6x scope
Attachments
Scoped Shiloh.jpg
Scoped Shiloh.jpg (160.86 KiB) Viewed 5727 times

mrhunterken
PostsCOLON 73
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm
LocationCOLON New Jersey
CONTACTCOLON

Re: My deer gun for the coming season

Post by mrhunterken » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:05 am

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! I hope it brings you much luck in the forthcoming season. I am also considering a Sharps in 50/90, 28" barrel, with the scope blocks already installed, for $2600.00 brand new. What are your scope recommendations? :D
NRA Life (Patron) Member, USMC League Shooting Team, NRA Certified Range Officer. Proud Owner of a.44/77 .45/70, .45/90,.50/70, .50/90, 2 Trapdoors. and a host of others :!: :!:

Brent
PostsCOLON 1504
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:28 am

pacecars,
that looks like quite the rig. Good cartridge, good scope, good rifle. Should be all you need with room to spare. You will look good too :)

mrhunterken, a 50-90 in a hunting weight rifle with a scope is a bit more than a deer rifle. More than a moose rifle too, but it would definitely get the job done and no one said a deer can be too dead. I just hope you are still alive in the end to enjoy it.

The Leatherwood scope is sealed and nitrogen filled. It's a good scope with fussy mounts that won't work for target work but would be fine for hunting. The MVA B5 is a better target scope but it is not sealed or N filled, so might not be quite as good in the woods.

I still use irons for my big game scopes, but I can imagine a scope for that might be in my future one day. I do use a Unertl small game scope for my singleshot .22s that I take out for squirrels. It is a great scope also and would be excellent on any of the big bore rifles as well, but the Leatherwood would kill things just as dead and maybe even deader in the rain. :)
I'm not from here, I just live here.

mrhunterken
PostsCOLON 73
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm
LocationCOLON New Jersey
CONTACTCOLON

Post by mrhunterken » Wed May 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Brent, thank you for your input, but I never intended to use a 50/90 as my deer gun, I do plan on getting one, but not for deer. My 45/70 works just fine. The deal fell through but still looking. Trying to decide on C. Sharps, Shiloh or Pedersoli.
NRA Life (Patron) Member, USMC League Shooting Team, NRA Certified Range Officer. Proud Owner of a.44/77 .45/70, .45/90,.50/70, .50/90, 2 Trapdoors. and a host of others :!: :!:

pacecars
PostsCOLON 86

Post by pacecars » Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks Brent. I really wish MVA would offer a sealed and purged option on their scopes. With the weather changes in Florida there is no way I would hunt without a sealed scope

pacecars
PostsCOLON 86

Post by pacecars » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm

I posted this on another forum I frequent but since I started it here i needed to add it here too. I was sitting in my stand on doe day when a nice little 100 lb'er stepped into the shooting lane at 40 yards. It wasn't a difficult shot or a long shot and she was broadside to me. I placed the cross hairs on the left shoulder and set the rear trigger, took a breath and slowly let it out as I pressed the front trigger. A slight boom and puff of smoke and the little .40 caliber lead bullet whistled right through both shoulders and into the trees while the deer just fell over on its right side. DRT. I have been impressed by the little .40-50 BN. I have a brand new KAL adjustable nose pour mold and a good supply of paper so I need to get started on some paper patch loads for this rifle.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY