misfires

semtav
PostsCOLON 234
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 pm

misfires

Post by semtav » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Hard to believe no one has posted on the Browning thread for 2 years !!
Thought I'd see what you Browning experts think.
If the rifle misfires randomly, but is leaving a light dent in the primer would that be a bent or weak sear spring or more of an indication of a sticking firing pin.
seems like if it was the sear spring it would stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin altogether.
Ideas before I tear it apart.
( I have the spring in case)

Brent
PostsCOLON 1633
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: misfires

Post by Brent » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 pm

I would repost this in the general forum at the very top. I rarely scroll down thos far. I wish i knew the answer to your problem, but i think you can't say without more info.

Good luck, I hear they are hard to reassemble.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Post by Old Soldier » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Get a hold of a guy called Texas Mac. He literally wrote the book on those rifles. He haunts here and the ASSRA form.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1018
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 pm

semtav wroteCOLON
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Hard to believe no one has posted on the Browning thread for 2 years !!
Thought I'd see what you Browning experts think.
If the rifle misfires randomly, but is leaving a light dent in the primer would that be a bent or weak sear spring or more of an indication of a sticking firing pin.
seems like if it was the sear spring it would stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin altogether.
Ideas before I tear it apart.
( I have the spring in case)
Brian,

I checked my sales records on my book purchases. It seems you purchased the 1st Edition of my book on the Browning BPCRs, which does not have the later added section that addresses your problem. The following is the section from the 3rd Edition which, in some cases, refers to other related information also not in your edition, but it should help. If it does not email me at texas*mac*@*sbc*global.net (remove all the *'s)

Wayne

1H.4 Light (Weak) Primer Strike
Problem: The hammer strikes the firing pin with insufficient force to sufficiently dent and ignite the primer. The first thought that may come to mind is that one or both of the mainsprings are weak or damaged which is highly unlikely. After eliminating the possibility that the cartridge primers are not fully seated which can result in the same problem, there are three other possibilities discussed below, but first try cleaning and lubricating the action.
1. The first and easiest solution to try is to clean and lubricate the action. Follow the steps discussed in the Appendix 2 section titled “Cleaning the Action & Breech”.
2. The most likely cause is the action of the hammer sear spring and is almost identical to the problem discussed in the Appendix 1 chapter titled “Hammer Stops at Half-Cock When Fired”. As previously noted, under certain conditions when firing the rifle, the hammer can get caught in the half-cock position, but if it does not, the tip of the hammer sear half-cock catch may still hit the hammer catch, slowing down the hammer to the extent that it does not have sufficient striking force to ignite the primer. This can also happen if the trigger has been worked on or “tuned”.
3. Fix: Read steps 1 and 2 of the previous chapter titled “Hammer Stops at Half-Cock When Fired”. If the problem still exists then go to step 5. The hammer sear spring may need to be replaced with a Lee Shaver version or the hammer sear may have to be modified as discussed above under the heading “Lee Shaver’s Hammer Sear Modification”.
4. Check the hammer catch. The outer surface should have a smooth curvature, ending in an angular point with the sloped surface of the edge on the inside of the curve. Look at the catch closely in Figure 57, Figure 59, Figure 60 and Figure 61. The outer curved surface should be smooth and uniform all the way to the tip. If it’s not, file and polish the curved surface below the step from the start of the factory polishing to the tip of the step while maintaining the curve.
One of my personal rifles misfired once in a while due to light primer strikes. I initially attributed it to not fully seating the primers which can have similar results. When trying another brand of primers with harder cups it became a major issue. After disassembling the action I spotted a wide irregular tip on the hammer catch the factory had failed to properly finish. The wide tip was hitting the hammer sear half-cock catch, slowing the hammer speed. A file and some polishing took care of the problem.
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

semtav
PostsCOLON 234

Post by semtav » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 am

Thanks Wayne.
I'll add that section to my book.
I do have one of Lee's springs, but this trigger hasn't been worked so I might send it in to him and get everything done while I have it apart.

On another note, I have another Browning that I had rebarrelled to 45 2 7/8. When It came back it has had a problem with the ejector not dropping out of the way. I have to physically pull it forward and down before I can chamber a shell. I need to take it apart and see what is wrong
. Any idea what causes this so I know what to look for ?

semtav
PostsCOLON 234

Post by semtav » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:43 am

Brent wroteCOLON
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 pm
I would repost this in the general forum at the very top. I rarely scroll down thos far. I wish i knew the answer to your problem, but i think you can't say without more info.

Good luck, I hear they are hard to reassemble.
Yea, I always hit the quick links so I never even get to the board index. just happened to be scrolling down the other day so I thought I'd try.
kinda had a feeling Wayne would check :lol:

semtav
PostsCOLON 234

Post by semtav » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:44 am

Old Soldier wroteCOLON
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:14 pm
Get a hold of a guy called Texas Mac. He literally wrote the book on those rifles. He haunts here and the ASSRA form.
No sooner said !! :)

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1018
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:42 pm

semtav wroteCOLON
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 am
Thanks Wayne.
I'll add that section to my book.
I do have one of Lee's springs, but this trigger hasn't been worked so I might send it in to him and get everything done while I have it apart.

On another note, I have another Browning that I had rebarrelled to 45 2 7/8. When It came back it has had a problem with the ejector not dropping out of the way. I have to physically pull it forward and down before I can chamber a shell. I need to take it apart and see what is wrong
. Any idea what causes this so I know what to look for ?
Brian,

Read the section starting on page 32 in your Browning BPCR book. If that's not the problem then likely the ejector spring and/or plunger fell out or was misplaced when the rifle was disassemble/reassembled - see parts 10 and 11 on page 212.

Wayne
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

semtav
PostsCOLON 234

Post by semtav » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:00 pm

OK thanks
Just shot the gun today and its a pain to try to remember to move the ejector before putting another shell in.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1018
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:49 pm

semtav wroteCOLON
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:00 pm
OK thanks
Just shot the gun today and its a pain to try to remember to move the ejector before putting another shell in.
Brian,

If your rifle has an NT in the serial number than it's highly likely it has the original design extractor. If so, to fix the problem you need to order a replacement extractor from Browning which is the redesigned version (part # B3474625). Browning's parts dept. phone number is 800-322-4626, Ext. 2863. BTW, as you've likely guessed, the action will have to be disassembled to replace the extractor.

Wayne

semtav
PostsCOLON 234

Post by semtav » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 pm

This was a later Winchester 45-90 with 30" barrel. I believe it was unfired when I bought it and not sure I ever did fire it before modifying it.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1018
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 pm

semtav wroteCOLON
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 pm
This was a later Winchester 45-90 with 30" barrel. I believe it was unfired when I bought it and not sure I ever did fire it before modifying it.
Brian,

I'm confused. You said the following earlier.
"On another note, I have another Browning that I had rebarrelled to 45 2 7/8. When It came back it has had a problem with the ejector not dropping out of the way. I have to physically pull it forward and down before I can chamber a shell. I need to take it apart and see what is wrong
. Any idea what causes this so I know what to look for ?"

So is it a Browning or Winchester that you had rebarreled to .45 2 7/8 (.45-110)?

Wayne

semtav
PostsCOLON 234

Post by semtav » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am

Well my bad, I call all the BPCR models Brownings. It was the latest version Miroku 1885 BPCR 30" barrel 45-90 with Winchester stamped on it.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY