Browning/miroku high wall

steel_pounder
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Browning/miroku high wall

Post by steel_pounder » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi every one, been a lurker here for a number of years and now have a question that I can't find an answer to else where.

a little over a year and a half ago My FIL passed away leaving to me a browning high wall in 25-06. since I already own a couple of other 25-06's so I am wanting to turn this one into a 40-65 BPCR. Is this just a matter of barrel replacement and a new or modified fore arm?

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1537
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Browning/miroku high wall

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:57 pm

The extractor will need be changed . If the rifle doesn't have a tang one will need to be added to accommodate a tang sight, or at least have the sight base glass bedded into the stock.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:03 pm

I'd contact CPA Rifles and ask for their thoughts. If pressed on the matter I'd sell the 25/06 and use the funds to purchase a factory BPCR, too many differences between the two.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 965
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Ranch 13 comments are valid if you plan on using a soule tang sight & the rifle does not have a tang. In that case you would also need a spirit level globe front sight. But if you plan on using a Malcolm-style scope the lack of a tang is no concern and a front sight is not needed. Also, as noted, the extractor would need replacing but that's rather simple for someone experienced at disassembling the action, which would be required to rebarrel anyway. Depending on the new barrel, since the forearm mounts to an underarm hanger the forearm may not need to be replaced, just modified slightly to match the barrel profile. If you want it to kick out the fired cases you could leave the ejector system as is, or disable it to extract the case for finger removal.

The main issue would be the tang assuming you want a tang sight. All things considered, I tend to agree with Premod70. Sell the rifle and purchase a properly configured BPCR.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book, associated articles & Browning/Winchester BPCR firearm sales.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1537
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:57 am

I did not address the issue of selling the rifle , due to the fact it was left to him by his deceased family member. Selling the gun, and using that money to replace it with a purpose built bpcr would be the practical thing to do, but that wasn't part of his question. Which I understand the sentimental value attached to that rifle, rebarreling would change it a bit, but selling it would be about the same as spitting on that relatives grave..

steel_pounder
PostsCOLON 4

Post by steel_pounder » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:00 am

thanks every one for the replys. it is not likely that I will sell this gun. I was just hoping that it could be made into some that I like more than the 25-06. I thought of a 40=65 because I don't have one and have found a new love for BPCR. And old single shot rifles in general.

so as a recap; in addition to the obvious, rebarrel and extactor/ejector mods. I would need to fasion and tig weld an upper tang onto the rifle then have the receiver either reblued or color case hardened, modify both the forearm and stock(to accept the new upper tang. would I need a lower tang also? is there any other changes that would need done. I like the idea of putting a Malcom style scope. I have one of them in the safe.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1537
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:44 am

By the time you would make all the mod's necessary to the gun, you would likely be money ahead to just outright buy a 40-65, and save that rifle to pass to your kids or grandkids. It's got some family history value.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 965
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:11 am

If you're not in a big rush, ask around on the BPCR & ASSRA forums for someone that has a Browning .40-65 or .45-70 BPCR 1/2 octagon 1/2 round Badger take-off barrel that was pulled to change calibers. I've run across several - generally in the $300 range. I can't guarantee it but the threads should match up & any competent gunsmith could install it with the correct timing. Using the Malcolm scope eliminates the need for a tang. Then all you'd need is the new extractor, have the barrel drilled and tapped for scope bases, modify the forearm & disable the ejector. BTW, if you did decide to add a tang, only the upper tang is necessary.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book, associated articles & Browning/Winchester BPCR firearm sales.

steel_pounder
PostsCOLON 4

Post by steel_pounder » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:05 pm

thanks Wayne, I was thinking of the same thing. I have been watching for a barrel. I already have to 45-70's, a pedersoli sharps 74 and an original 1913 or so high wall. also have a C- Sharps High wall in 45-90. so just wanting to play with this one a bit. I can thread and chamber a barrel and have all the equipment to either reblue or color case harden the receiver. I also have the skill/ability to make and tig weld a upper tang in place and inlet the stock. I am just not sure about the metallurgy of the receiver and what steps would be necessary to insure that the receiver tang junction was not to brittle or too hard.

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 448
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:00 am

I'll be the heretic and say that the tang isn't needed. Useful? yes, definitely. Necessary? Not at all. Just mount the tang sight of the appropriate place on the wrist of the rifle, and I can assure you therree won't be any accuracy issues. Fact is, that's what I do with my Martini's. And the ODG (old dead guys) used to have a sight for the supine position, also mounted on the wood. Didn't stop them from shooting extremely well...

kokomokid
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by kokomokid » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:29 am

Many a Browning B-78 were set up for BPCR by a man at ft Chadborne years ago with welded tang and Badger or K&P barrel. I see one at local gun shows sometimes. A canjar trigger makes a sweet setup.
If you are ever in west Texas stop by the Ft Chadborne museum and ask about the B-78 conversions and look at a collection of Buffalo guns.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY