cookie cutter

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
horslips
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:41 pm

cookie cutter

Post by horslips » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:31 am

where can I get a 50cal. cookie cutter?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: cookie cutter

Post by Brent » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:21 pm

If you are wanting to cut lube cookies or something soft like that, you can make one from any .50 caliber brass.

If you want to cut wad material or something tougher, then get a wad punch from buffaloarms.com.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 648
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Re: cookie cutter

Post by Kurt » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 am

Why mess around with a cookie cutter that will do nothing but stick a pile of lube wads together on a pile and get deformed when you pick them up.
Get a 12" shallow straight walled round cake pan put it on a hot plate with a little water in it and some lube and let it simmer for a while till all lube is melted. Let it cool and lift the lube cake out of the water dry it with a paper towel and cut your wads using a loaded compressed case full of powder with a card and cut the wad with the case mouth and place a wad on the lube and seat the bullet. You will never handle a wad with your fingers.
I use 180 to 200 grams of lube depending on how thick I want the wad. I just use a wad under 1/8" to help hold back the gas so it cuts down the vertical. I wipe between shots so lube is not really necessary any way, but I see a reduction of vertical using a thin lube wad.
I stood up some wads so you can see the uniformity when you do it the way I said above.
IMG_3422.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg (115.31 KiB) Viewed 476 times

BUTTON_POST_REPLY