Ya ever wonder?..

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
lkydvl
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:17 pm
LocationCOLON SW Minnesota

Ya ever wonder?..

Post by lkydvl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Ya ever wonder?..

Why people come to a "black powder Cartridge" forum and ask about pyrodex?

Then when given sound advice they ask...."Why no Pyrodex? I use it in my ML rifles" .

A little research thru the forum's topics would give them the answer, if they were really wanting to learn. Then again maybe they don't want to know...

Andre`

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Re: Ya ever wonder?..

Post by Ray Newman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Or how about the guy who has never loaded a Black powder cartridge before asks you for advice, then proceeds to tell you what you said will not work.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1691
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 pm

I think it is pretty obvious why people ask about Pyrodex here. It is a BP substitute and likely the only powder they know to be available in that class. And, of course, they may have a can of it on their shelves. Certainly, I loaded my first sharps cases with it because it is what I shot in my muzzleloader. No one said it wouldn't work and I shot two 4" groups at 200 yds with it right off the bat. Never got it to shoot like that with Pdex again, but those first groups, shot with barrel sights no less, impressed me and a few onlookers.

Most new folks don't even know that they can mail order BP. I sure as hell didn't know.

So, there are lots of reasons to come hear and ask. I am good with that. I do not expect anyone to do any significant searching about a topic on a forum. That's why forums exist, to ask. When someone comes into my office at the university, and asks a question, I don't point them at the library every time either. Educating works a little differently than simply saying, "go yonder and fetch".

And then there is building a little bit of a social relationship with others. I welcome the opportunity to do that all the time. Let someone ask and maybe they will find answers to questions they didn't even know they needed to ask. Maybe they will make new friend or two along the way, and maybe that will lead to them showing up at a match or taking a hunting trip with a BPCR or whatever. Let's not discourage folks from asking questions that we have seen before. Who knows, their next question might be something I've never thought of before.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

38-72
PostsCOLON 40
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:38 pm

Post by 38-72 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Brent wroteCOLON
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 pm
I think it is pretty obvious why people ask about Pyrodex here. It is a BP substitute and likely the only powder they know to be available in that class. And, of course, they may have a can of it on their shelves. Certainly, I loaded my first sharps cases with it because it is what I shot in my muzzleloader. No one said it wouldn't work and I shot two 4" groups at 200 yds with it right off the bat. Never got it to shoot like that with Pdex again, but those first groups, shot with barrel sights no less, impressed me and a few onlookers.

Most new folks don't even know that they can mail order BP. I sure as hell didn't know.

So, there are lots of reasons to come hear and ask. I am good with that. I do not expect anyone to do any significant searching about a topic on a forum. That's why forums exist, to ask. When someone comes into my office at the university, and asks a question, I don't point them at the library every time either. Educating works a little differently than simply saying, "go yonder and fetch".

And then there is building a little bit of a social relationship with others. I welcome the opportunity to do that all the time. Let someone ask and maybe they will find answers to questions they didn't even know they needed to ask. Maybe they will make new friend or two along the way, and maybe that will lead to them showing up at a match or taking a hunting trip with a BPCR or whatever. Let's not discourage folks from asking questions that we have seen before. Who knows, their next question might be something I've never thought of before.

Brent
What Bent said deserves repeating! Great post.

rfd
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Fri May 01, 2015 4:39 pm
LocationCOLON nor'east
CONTACTCOLON

Post by rfd » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:23 am

i resemble yer post, brent. :mrgreen:

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:25 am

People come to a forum and ask questions to gain information. When those folks get unreasonably chastised they may not return, that means we've probably lost another shooter on the line at a match someplace. That loss of another competitor is something the bpc sports can ill afford.
Pyrodex is asked about because it has visibility in big box stores, some local gun shops, etc. Black Powder does not.
Sometimes the search function on a forum will give a person a good answer, sometimes not, sometimes the info that can be found is pretty well out of date.
Welcome the FNG's question, give honest answers to the best of your ability, based on your first hand experience and welcome the new guy to the madness.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:28 am

This is aged by some months but a good topic in itself, especially for a fellah who has only been shooting BP for about a year and a half.

Guys that ignore advice or reply with their own after asking a question can be frustrating. We've all seen it. But I like Brent and Don's approach.

I personally try never to strike that pose after asking a question. What frustrates me is asking - then getting just one or two replies that don't really address the question when I know there are more opinions-based-on-experience, which is what I was after.

I really appreciate both Don and Brent and several others who take the time to offer a reply, here and elsewhere.

Being new to the venue I certainly look forward & have hopes of meeting several of those I've had exchanges with, here on ASSRA, the BP section of CastBoolits, the Shiloh forum, and the Historic Shooters forum -- so the social angle is relevant for sure.

And already I see the need for more converts and more participation. I came with some experience via cast w/smokeless but I can't imagine how long it would have taken to acquaint myself with BP absent these forums. On a relevant note... arriving here at age 61 (now 63), I don't have a lot of time to play catch-up. So there is that. Advanced Glaucoma drives that point home further every day. The forums are likely the best if not the only place we have for being an ambassador for the sport.

Oregon Bill
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am
LocationCOLON Alamogordo, NM

Post by Oregon Bill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:01 am

SgtDog, appreciate your post. Sorry to hear about the glaucoma, and hope you have it under control. I have a cataract in my right eye that needs to go ASAP. Waiting to go on Medicare next spring.
I'm sure guilty of asking questions that have been asked before -- on many forums. I will admit to being lazy about doing searches first, partly because the search function is so sketchy on some forums, such as Cast Boolits. Also, information and experience continue to change, so an answer posted in 2011 may have much less credibility in 2017 than one posted just a month ago. I have been fooling with BPCRs for many years now. Got my start back in the old, old days of the long-vanished Shooters.com forums. The Internet has been a blessing for the sharing of information about such arcane subjects as those that come up in connection with black powder cartridge rifles.
Brent mentioned the social aspect, and that's important, too. It is a good thing to be in contact with real people, and not digital archives.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY