Bullet Casting Party

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Lincoln Creek
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Bullet Casting Party

Post by Lincoln Creek » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm thinking that a bunch of top shooters throw a bullet casting party in order to get us new shooters involve in bullet casting. I myself am very hesitant about trying to do this. I've got 8 new expensive moulds, 8 pounds of beeswax, 600 pounds of lead, a new 20lb Lee pot and new dipper but am still needing a push to get started. When your all by yourself it's hard to get motivated. It took me 15 years from the purchase of my 1st BPC rifle to the time I went to my 1st Silhoutte match last spring. I had to learn most everything on my own from reading books, reading forums like this one to just shooting on my own. After years of shooting by myself and being my own spotter, you tend to pick up on the sounds a bullet makes when missing your target at 345 years. You won't see your bullet impact most of the time to tell whether you was high or low, but you learn that the high miss into the berm is more like a thump or thud and a low miss in the flat grassy area is more like a swish. It's been an enlightening experience. I probably wasted several more bullets and a lot of time, but you do what you can. I'm sure I would learn to cast good bullets, but I find myself just wanting to pick up the phone and order some. It's easier that way, except for the cost. Some days it's just hard to get motivated to try somethings new.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 105
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Bullet Casting Party

Post by Premod70 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Your location is...?? I'm sure you'll get many offers to learn how to cast, hope you're near one of the site members.

Lincoln Creek
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Post by Lincoln Creek » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Premod70 wroteCOLONYour location is...?? I'm sure you'll get many offers to learn how to cast, hope you're near one of the site members.

NW Missouri

Tom Trevor
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:53 pm
LocationCOLON california

Post by Tom Trevor » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Our club here in Ventura county Ca. has casting lessons a couple of times a year for new members. Burbankmuzzleloaders.com

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Tom Trevor... that's a pretty neat idea of your club to sponsor.

I had a friend locally who helped by letting me look over his shoulder. But ultimately it was just a matter of kicking my butt out the door with a mold in hand. My suggesting would be to take one step at a time. Set it up, clean your mold, get your pot and mold hot. Can't help but dive in after that.

I cast a few thousand before I discovered ladle pouring and now can't get the hang again of the bottom spout. Bullets mo better!:-)

Otiscampbell
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sat May 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Post by Otiscampbell » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm located in SW Iowa, and would be happy to help if you're interested. Maybe we aren't too far apart distance wise?

BUTTON_POST_REPLY